Includes Expert Content
Hey Dr G, do you know anything about this???
jselleck posted:
Hi Doctor Goldberg,

I was updating some information on my health insurance's website the other day and got an interesting warning. I'm on Lithium and Oxcarbarzinapine and the website warned of a possible drug interaction between the two meds. Now I've been on this combination since August of last year, and was on it once before about 2 or 3 years ago I think. Do you know anything about an interaction?? I've been with my pshycoogist for 6 years and really trust him. He really seems to know his stuff, and unlike the last guy I was seeing, listens to me, and isn't afraid to put me on the stuff I need. (I'm a hard case, BP II with really bad mania at times.) Would appreciate any info you have. I'd ask him, but I don't see him for a month and the only complaint I have about him, is he's a pain to get ahold of. Thanks!!!

Jessica

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Jessica,
The only thing I can think of is that both lithium and Trileptal can lower serum sodium levels and so it's customary to measure both every 6 months...that's about it. I wouldn't really call that a drug "interaction" though so much as an additive risk.

Dr. G.

jselleck replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Thanks for the info. I figured it wasn't something major, otherwise my pharmacist would have said something. They're really good about catching stuff. Appreciate all you do. Have a nice day.

Jessica