Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Hey Dr G, do you know anything about this???
jselleck posted:
Hi Doctor Goldberg,

I was updating some information on my health insurance's website the other day and got an interesting warning. I'm on Lithium and Oxcarbarzinapine and the website warned of a possible drug interaction between the two meds. Now I've been on this combination since August of last year, and was on it once before about 2 or 3 years ago I think. Do you know anything about an interaction?? I've been with my pshycoogist for 6 years and really trust him. He really seems to know his stuff, and unlike the last guy I was seeing, listens to me, and isn't afraid to put me on the stuff I need. (I'm a hard case, BP II with really bad mania at times.) Would appreciate any info you have. I'd ask him, but I don't see him for a month and the only complaint I have about him, is he's a pain to get ahold of. Thanks!!!

Jessica

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Jessica,
The only thing I can think of is that both lithium and Trileptal can lower serum sodium levels and so it's customary to measure both every 6 months...that's about it. I wouldn't really call that a drug "interaction" though so much as an additive risk.

Dr. G.

jselleck replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Thanks for the info. I figured it wasn't something major, otherwise my pharmacist would have said something. They're really good about catching stuff. Appreciate all you do. Have a nice day.

Jessica

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.