Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Does anybody with the combined diagnoses Bi-polar and PTSD also have massive memory loss?
DamagedDoll posted:
I'm 23 and I have noticed ever since I was about 14 I have massive gaps in my memory. I don't remember a lot of what has happened to me in my life. I have a diagnosis of PTSD and Bi-polar. Is this the PTSD blacking out my memory or should I be concerned since I also get migraines?

slik_kitty responded:
it could be dissociation. as children we can learn to go inside our heads to avoid trauma in life just so we can survive. if you have a ptsd diagnosis then it is likely that that is the case. talk to your pdoc or t about it. dissociation ranges from road hypnosis to dissociative identity disorder. you don't have to have did to have memory loss from dissociation. it's just a child's mind's way of protecting itself.

bpcookie responded:
Hello Doll, I don't have an answer to your question but I just wanted to say how very sorry I am that you had such terrible things happen to you to the point that you developed PTSD. I have PTSD also. So your not alone.

Welcome to the board.
WebMD Health Ambassador, BpCookie

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.