Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
New to This
An_250710 posted:
Im new to this forum stuff so please bear with me Feeling an overwhelming amount of irritability. I cant seem to control it. Any suggestions?

slik_kitty responded:
if someone, or something is irritating you, then get away from it, calm down and regroup. then you can either tackle what is irritating you again, or move on to something else.

bpcookie responded:
Hello An, its nice to meet you and welcome to the board. Does your irritability cause you to become angry? If so, a therapist may be able to help you. Do you know what is causing your irritability? If you do, then do as Slik_kitty has suggested, get away from it. If your not sure what is causing it, then here are some things that may cause irritability:

Hormone changes (if your female), menopause, that time of the month, etc.

Stress

Antidepressants can help with irritability IF you have a mood disorder. There are herbal remedies that may help also such as Ginseng, St. Johns Wort and Chamomile.

I hope that helps you. Take care.

A mood or anxiety disorder

hypothyroidism

Chronic pain (that causes me to be quite irritable)

Hypoglycemia can cause irritability because low blood sugar--slows brain cell function, which causes irritability and other cognitive disturbances. The lower the blood sugar level, the more pronounced the effects on the brain.
Insomnia
WebMD Health Ambassador, BpCookie

Mahayana responded:
Hi An,

I am very irritable most of the time right now and don't know why. Sometimes even the small things cause me to get angry. The only antidote I know is patience. Be patient with those who make you irritable. Look at them as your teacher who is teaching you to practice patience.

For example, if someone is taking a very long time to do something and you are waiting, consider the person as your teacher who is giving you the chance to practice patience.

This is extremely difficult to do so start with the small things that people do that make you irritable.

I am far from it but it is indeed a technique you can try.

muthrof32112 responded:
Im new to these boards too, so bear with me! lol! I find that Im irritable alot too, especially with the rapid cycling, but I find most of the time when I get like that I need some space for just me, no kids, no hubby, no TV, no phone.....I go and rest in the quiet of my room, take a nice long walk, go sip coffee at the local coffee shop....I need to manually unwind my brain or I just totally explode! Hope this help ya a bit!

bpcookie replied to bpcookie's response:
Hmmm I just noticed that my post was a bit messed up. Some how the end of my post ended up in the middle. Sorry if it didn't make sense.

bpcookie replied to Mahayana's response:
Hello Mayayana, Thats a very smart way to approach this. I've trying to practice patience myself. If I'm having difficulty trying to accomplish something, I tell myself "ok, take your time" because I tend to want to rush through things. If I break something I tell myself "Don't get upset. Its not a big deal". Anyways, I like how you deal with irritable situations.

bpcookie replied to muthrof32112's response:
Hello Muthrof, Its nice to meet you and welcome to the board. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.