Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Celexa
friendtsw posted:
my roomate is Bi polar and was put on celexa and felt pretty good , but then began hearing voices. It was discontinued after about a month, he has been off it for about a week and a day. This last week the voices are still there, could this be a sideeffect of coming off the med if so how long with this last. HIs Dr says the celexa triggered a manic state and the voices are from that. but he never heard voices prior to taking this Celexa. Any info would be greatly appreciated. "

bpcookie responded:
Hello Friend, Celexa may take a few weeks or more before it is completely out of the system. That is probably why he is still hearing voices. So he needs to be a little patient.

His Dr. is trying to say that it wasn't the Celexa that caused him to hear voices but the Celexa caused him to become manic and the mania is what caused him to hear the voices.

Your roommate is lucky to have such a good friend like you to watch out for him. I wish you both good luck and good health.
WebMD Health Ambassador, BpCookie

friendtsw replied to bpcookie's response:
thank you for your response, I have to say that this has been super stressful and to say the least frustrating

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

new
hello everyone.. new to this..hope to talk to others who knows how it is having bipolar. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.