Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Did you see the news re social security/medicare? (OT??)
ddnos posted:
I couldn't believe it! One of the first things I saw when I turned on my computer and went to my homepage of Comcast is the headline that read, "Obama Suggests Cuts to Medicare, Soc. Sec...." Then when you click on that it says, "Obama Renews Offer to Cut Social Safety Net in Big Budget Deal"

Then I read it and here are a few excerpts from it."President Barack Obama raised anew the issue of cutting entitlements such as Medicare and Social Security as a way out of damaging budget cuts, a White House official said on Sunday, as both sides in Washington tried to limit a fiscal crisis that may soon hit millions of Americans."

THen he goes on to say that he's willing to compromise on the automatic budget cuts, basically, if "we" cut or greatly minimize social security and medicare...

Then the article says that Republicans have long argued that the way to tame budget deficits over the long haul is by slowing the cost of sprwaling social safety net programs......

Then the artitcal goes on to ssay.......

"These include the Social Security retirement program and Medicare and Medicaid healthcare programs for the elderly, disabled and poor that are becoming more expensive as a large segment of the U.S. population hits retirement age. "

"Last week, conservative Republican Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said he was open to raising $600 billion in new tax revenue if Democrats accepted significant changes to Medicare and Medicaid as part of a long-term budget deal. "

If you want to read the entire article, go here
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100515721?__source=xfinity|mod&par=xfinity

But is he or anyone really serious about cutting Social Security, Disability, Medicare, Medicaid???? What will that do to millions of us? Yes, I understand that more people than ever are on disabilty and a lot on retirement, etc., but maybe had govenment knew how to budget their money, we wouldn't be in this situation!! Maybe if they didn't see Social Security as a budget they can dip into whenever they need money for something else, we could afford the retirement, disability, medicare, medicaid expenses! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! It just ticks me off; but it's also scary, you know? Yes, I'm sure you know! My gut says that they would never actually make those kind of cuts because there would be too much protest, but who knows. I just can't see it being completely cut because if they did do that, there'd be one HUGE problem on thier hands of the repercussions of such stupidity!!

Oh, so that's my "2-cents" worth, what's yours?

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

ddnos responded:
PS Jessica - can you make another petition? lol
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

jselleck replied to ddnos's response:
Heck yes I can!!!! How's this for a title: Keep your mitts off my paycheck!!!! This makes me SOOOO friggin mad!!!!! They just said that social security, medicare, medicaid, and veteran's benefits were off limits to budget cuts, now they want to slash our throats anyway???!!!!!! OOOO, Senator Cruz is so going to get an earful from me!!! Plus it doesn't help that I got a letter from some division of SSI but located in Texas not Washington, and they're threatening to cut my benefits. What the h e l l do they expect me to do??? I've only been luckily enough to hold 2, count them two jobs for longer than six months since I started working, and even then they didn't last longer than about 3 years. I can't do it. There's no way I can go back to work full time. Maybe back in 2011, but no way no. I've had too many problems with my meds, plus I"m not sleeping and I'm manic as h e l l. I will definetly start a new petition Debbie. As soon as I get everything together and ready for signatures, I'll let you all know. OOO this makes me soooo mad!!!! As if it wasn't bad enough they raised our taxes, now this!!! Have a good day my friends.

Jessica

jselleck replied to jselleck's response:
Hey Debbie, Did some research and couldn't find anything verfying this. Closest I could get was someone on Fox News rallying for a cut in health care, but nothing on social security. Will keep a close watch on it, and as soon as I can verify the info, I'll be more than happy to start another petition. Till then, I'll be watching a waiting along with most of the nation. (Hugs))

Jess

ddnos replied to jselleck's response:
Hey Jessica, I figured you'd reply as such! I know Obama is not saying that they are for sure going to cut those benefits, but just the fact that its being seriously considered is far enough - TOO FAR!! I will be the first to sign the petition - ok, so the first after you! And heck, I'll sign it several times under different names, I mean, I do actually have different names! LOL

Yeah, I don't know how they can even consiider such a cut! I mean, not just those of us on disability, but what about elderly people who are living on social security and nothing else? What are they going to do? Crime will increase, homelessness will increase, did i say crime will increase? Folks won't be able to pay for meds, therefore will either end up in hospitals, on the streets, suicide...you name it. It will be a HUGE epidemic of which could have been avoided if government actually does such a DUMB AZZ thing!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I know that you are creating the petition using a different website, but i was looking at the other one i suggested and it gives a lot of ideas from what's the best way to title it, to what and how much of letter to write, to how to promote it..it gave a lot of good ideas. The one you are using may do the same thing, so if so, disregard...but if you want to have a look at it, the website is www.change.org

Thanks!
Debbie

slik_kitty responded:
I fully expect social security to be gone by the time i can retire, even though i have been paying into it most of my adult life. social security is all some people have to retire on and even then it doesn't pay much after a lifetime of working. so i guess i will never retire. can't afford to.

ddnos replied to slik_kitty's response:
well I sure hope that "they" figure out something so that it doens't happen! I mean, it would effect a HUGE number of people! Not just those who will retire, but those on disability and the poor. You think of the millions on disability and SS, and a large majority of them will be left without ANYTHING to live on without the support, AND no medical! What, may I ask, is good about that plan??? Can I say, "IDIOTS?" Grrrrrrrrrrr!!! Don't get me started, Kitty! lol

On that note, have a great day! lol
Debbie

bpcookie responded:
Perhaps a better idea is for the politicians to each take a cut in their salaries.

I have two ideas. Instead of cutting SS Disability, I think they should do rechecks every few years. Have those who are on Disability be checked to see if they are still Disabled. There are ppl who get on disability who really aren't disabled. So rechecks would weed out those ppl.

For some reason after I had been on disability for 5 yrs, they did a recheck on me. I saw one of their shrinks. I got a letter a few weeks later saying that SS Disability made a mistake and I wasn't supposed to be rechecked. Their recheck policy was not a big deal to me, so I think its a good idea.

I have another idea that may help budget cuts and save a huge chunk of money. Obama wants to make illegal aliens legal. Just like that. I believe he is doing it because he wants immigrants on his side, even if they are illegal. Also I believe he is doing this because the illegal aliens are working but not paying taxes (because they are illegal). The thing is, his plan will not work because why would illegal aliens want the government to know they are here, and why would they want to pay taxes??? The illegal aliens are getting benefits, such as food stamps and government care by using false information and false I.D. So what really needs to happen is to send the illegals back to their country. They are breaking the law and should there for be punished just as anyone else would. Also the companies that are hiring illegal aliens should be fined, a HUGE fine. There is already a law against companies hiring illegals but its not stopping the companies, only charging them a HUGE fine or even jail time will perhaps stop these companies from breaking the law.

and thats my 4 cents worth. lol

p.s. I do not see how cutting costs on these VERY important things will help budget costs. Things such as SS, Disability, Medicare, and Medicaid. It will only hurt them in the long run. The country will end up in the gutter. Half of the country will be poor, with out any medical and with out any where to go for help.

We should all just move to Canada.
WebMD Health Ambassador, BpCookie

bpcookie responded:
Oh, and you might as well forget about retiring. 401K??? What a joke. Saving to retire? The government taxes every friggin little bit of money you happen to save. This pisses me off.

Don't get me started on taxes. They tax our pay checks, our SS Disability, our food, our checking and saving accounts, if you happen to win money, we are friggin taxed to death. If your lucky enough to get money back when filing taxes, they tax that money the following year. TAX TAX TAX. They are killing this country with tax.

Sorry, anything that has to do with the government pisses me off.

bpcookie responded:
This may be going in another direction but I can't help myself.Since this has to do with our government and spending costs I also want to gripe about imported goods. I think that the countries that send us these goods should be taxed to Hell and back. I don't mean taxing the goods that we really need, such as food but taxing stupid crap that we can get in the USA, should be hugely taxed. Things like Chinese finger traps, lol. Our country would be so much richer if we could only buy things that are made in the USA. Everything we buy has a tag on it that says "made in China" "made in Mexico" "made in Japan"......, what happened to "made in the USA"? Companies are laying off their employees and moving their companies to other countries because its cheaper labor. These companies should be taxed to hell and back also. We need to just keep the work here in the USA and have products that we can buy thats made in the USA. There would be jobs for ppl in here and they wouldn't need to claim unemployment.

Sorry Debbie honey, but anything do to with the government pisses me off to no end, so I tend to rattle on.

jselleck replied to bpcookie's response:
Hi Debbie and others:

The reason I hesitate right now to start another petition is that so far we can't verify through any reliable source that the gov is actually considering cutting social security. Once we can do that, I'll be more than happy to take a stand and start another petition. Oh and Cookie, things have changed where disability is concerned. I don't know about anyone else, but ever since I was approved, each and every January I get a letter from the government wanting to know what meds I'm on, if I've sought treatment this year and if so when and where, and a bunch of other questions. It's a pain in the but to fill out, but a small price to pay for my monthly checks.

Jess

ibex7 replied to jselleck's response:
Here's an idea, Jess. Congressional pensions should be funded by Social Security and their own contributions to a Politicians Pension Fund.

jselleck replied to ibex7's response:
Totally agree with ya ibex!!! If they had to put up with what we do, they'd change their tune in an instant. Never gonna happen though. One can dream though.

jselleck replied to jselleck's response:
HI guys. Talked to my physical therapist last night (he owns several locations in my area). He said that he had heard something somewhere about possible cuts to Social Security and Medicare, but could not verity where and what. We were watching CBS This Morning and they said something about wanting to cut Entailment Programs, but nothing definitive. President Obama has made it clear he is willing to negotiate on cutting Entitlement Programs, but no word on which programs and how much they want to cut. Now would be a good time to start a grass roots effort to save the Entitlement Programs in general, especially SSI. A letter/e-mail writing campaign to Senators and Congressmen may be the way to go about this, or starting a Facebook page dedicated to saving the Entitlement Programs may be another. Matt seems to think unless the petition is well worded a petition would only insure that the President gets to repeat his opinion and not show him what the public wants. Due to my increased mania and other illnesses Matt and I are focusing on our health and fiances right now and would not be able to spearhead a program like this because it deserves more time and attention than we could comfortably give it. We would love to follow the lead of anyone else who is interested in leading an effort to save the Entitlement Programs. It even doesn't have to be someone from the board. It stands to reason that there are a lot of people who will lose out if the the gov cuts Entitlement Programs. If no one from the board is willing to lead an effort, maybe they are willing to find someone or an organization that is already trying to save the Entitlement Programs, and we all could fall in behind them. Just a though.

Jess

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.