Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
American Idol - TRIGGER maybe - what do you think?
melly2210 posted:
Just finished watching the Idol thing. Needless to say the talent is amazing, but it left me feeling unbelievably sad and majorly concerned. Charlie (and for the life of me I cannot remember his last name) is this young man, maybe 19 or 20. He called himself during the auditions "the essence of weird." He's always been judged as the "happiest" contestant on the show. And he always performed something upbeat. Nikki Manaj told him once that there was something about him that made him seem like a little brother and that all she wanted to do was pick him up and cuddle him. But then again, she's been saying off the wall things to everyone.

Well, tonite, he performed WAY out of his normal box. I'm not saying it was bad, but it was angry and violent and just seemed not him. The judges were very harsh about their critique. And as each one gave their input, you could see him fight the tears. The expression on his face changing and he definately wasn't the happy Charlie everyone including the staff had seen. By the time Ryan Seacrest came out to ask him what he was feeling when he sang it, he said "angry." And Ryan pursued that line and asked him something else - can't remember what - but his response was "I am tired of always smiling on the outside when I am crying on the inside." He attempted to leave the stage twice at this point even though he wasn't supposed to. The producers pulled the cameras way back and lowered Ryans mike to almost nothing but you could still read his lips. He was scared for this young man, as dh and I were too. They brought the mike back up and Ryan got him to stay about 10 seconds more and then Charlie stormed off. Ryan simply said at that point that Charlie needed to leave the stage.

The twitter and feeds were all ranting about him getting the sympathy vote now, etc etc jokingly saying he needed to be on suicide watch too. And it made me so angry I joined twitter just to defend him. To speak those words to a live audience of 1500 and to millions at home spoke of two things for me : 1) Courageousness. How many of us can actually say we've admitted that privately or in a crisis unit, let alone in front of millions? and 2) I am desperately afraid for this young man because he did speak up in front of so many. His cry for help has been heard by millions. I am hoping they declare him medically unable to continue and get him the help he needs. But I have a feeling they won't. They'll let him continue on to either be voted off fueling these issues he has or he'll go on and doubtfully win given the other talent there riding that so-called pity vote.

What do you all think about this??

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

ddnos responded:
Hi Melly,

I saw the show and saw Charlie. He didn't actually storm off, nor did he say, "I am tired of always smiling on the outside when I am crying on the inside." He said that "...a lot of people think I'm a happy boy person a lot of the time...the only reason I smile so much is because I feel like I have to."
Here's the clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jl2DuYqtA0

Having said that, I think that Nicki Manaj was the worse and inappropriate in her "critique." (as she oftentimes is)

It's no doubt that Charlie is a fragile person who needs help, but as insensitive as this may sound, it's not American Idol's job to cater to him any more or less than they would any other contestant or play therapist with him. But I'm sure that someone there has or will talk with Charlie to see if he's "Ok" and may even suggest that he get professional help. I highly doubt that he will be back next week unless, like you said, he gets the "sympathy vote." which happens all the time - right or wrong - it just is. If he comes back based on voice alone, I doubt he will come back because most of the other performances were far better than his. (though I do think he has a good voice when he's singing what fits him)

But other than judges comments about his choice of dress, hair style, and earring, I totally agreed with what they had to say about his performance. Charlie wasn't able to handle that critique emotionally because of his own issues and simply the fact that it's hard for anyone to be up there getting tough critique after performing. Some can take it and some can't and some learn to.

I guess I just see the whole thing differently than you. Yes, I felt bad for Charlie, but I don't and can't expect "American Idol" to be responsible for getting him help, or even recognizing that he needs help, for that matter. We don't know Charlie's history other than anything he's shared on Idol - we don't know if maybe he's currently in therapy (tho obviosly on a break now) and very well aware of his issues and is or has been working on them. We don't know that.

His "cry for help has been heard by millions" but it's up to Charlie, and his loved ones to get the help he needs. If he's not capable of getting the help on his own (which we don't know) then great, but if not, then hopefully he has family or friends that will have heard him tonight and pursue it. But whether he gets help or not is not up to you or me - it's up to him first, and those in his circle of life to help as needed. THere have been many other "fragile" contestants on Idol before - every year - we have to just hope that they get the help they need.

So those are my thoughts on the matter - or at least some of them.

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

ddnos replied to ddnos's response:
Hi again, Mel,

One thing I wanted to add as an afterthought - we only saw Charlie in that moment - a moment where he expressed his raw feelings - but that doesn't mean that he's in danger of suicide, or that he's mentally ill, or any such thing. It could just mean that he's a sensitive, emotional, 17 year old who is experiencing the "craziness" of being a teen - especially a teen in this day and age. I don't mean to negate his feelings last night, but just saying that what he expressed was not an absolute indicator that he in need of serious help and intervention. Maybe he does, but we can't determine that just based on 2 minutes of his emotion no matter how real they were.

I think that we as a people tend to look only at what we see at that moment and assume what the whole picture is. Our assumptions are usually wrong when that happens. I did that myself last night when replying to this post, i.e. I assumed that he needed serious help based ONLY on that brief moment of his. But that wasns't fair of me to do because I can't assume that just because he displayed his emotions like that meant he needed therapy, has serious issues, is at risk for suicide. Heck, I get po'd when people do that to me in different context as Im sure you do too. What we see is oftentimes not the picture we think it is.

Just my thoughts...
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

bpcookie replied to ddnos's response:
I would have to agree with your second post Debbie Doodles. These days we tend to worry about teens especially when we see one get upset or cry. After all the news reports on teens being bullied, kids bringing guns to school, teen suicides and etc. its easy to think that a crying or upset teen could be suicidal, mentally ill, needs to be put on meds. or need to see a pdoc. So I hate to jump to any conclusions about Charlie from American Idol. Besides I'm sure we will find out soon because when it comes to tv they don't let sleeping dogs lay. They dig into the story and find out whats going on so that they can blast it across the tv for all to see.
WebMD Health Ambassador, BpCookie

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Need some advice...
I am 32 with a wonderful family and just found out that I am bipolar. 20 days ago they left me due to one of my outburst. I need them back ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.