Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
My stepfather [trigger]
sandtiger posted:
For those who were aware of his struggle, my stepfather passed away on Friday. He had been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer for a little over seven months. His loss was expected but not quite so suddenly; I spoke with him only this past wednesday, saw him the saturday before that, and he was doing remarkably well.

Thankfully, although his passing his understandably hard, I keep thinking about the last time I spoke with him, and the last thing I can remember him saying is how he was proud of me. I honestly don't think I could have a better last memory.

With my mother passing on in 2010, and this now in 2013, that leaves me quite effectively an orphan; I don't know my real father, and don't rightly care to. I still have my brother and my sister, though, so I won't be entirely alone, I guess.

Thank you for all of your thoughts through his sickness, and beyond.

((hugs all))

~ San
:: Living is more than just being alive - Anberlin ::

melly2210 responded:
I am so sorry for your loss. My dad had cancer and lasted about the same time. Inevitable as it is, it is never easy to loose your dad. I am so glad you have such good memories of your last moments with him. I hope his love for you and your damily carries you through your grief....(((hugs)))

Mel

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

monkeybee replied to melly2210's response:
San...I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll be thinking about and praying for you, your son, and family, especially this week. I can't imagine what it feels like to lose your dad. (((hugs)))

Sarah

slik_kitty responded:
so sorry. you have a wonderful last memory to hold of him. hugs

bpcookie responded:
Oh honey, Im so sorry about your stepfather. My stepmother has stage 4 lung cancer as well, so I kinda know how you must have been feeling all those months. Its like a roller coaster ride from Hell.

I think the best words anyone can hear from a parent (besides I Love You) is "Im proud of you". It means that you became the person that he/she had hoped that you would become, My stepmother just recently said those words to me but it was for a specific reason. It almost made me cry.

You hold on to those words honey. Take care. hugs and kisses.

love
Cookie
WebMD Health Ambassador, BpCookie

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
112 of 129 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.