Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
4 times the trouble
smboc posted:
I am 34 and have had Bipolar and severe anxiety since I was 14. Sometimes its hard sometimes not so much! Now I have a son whom at the age of 9 was diagnosed with bipolar. We have delt with it but over the past year things have gotten harder and harder like Im sinking and latley like I feel as though I might have a heart attack expecially along with the 2 other children I have. Then we find out why. My bipolar son whom is now 14 has also been diagnosed ADD which explains alot. Put it all together you have a double decker bipolar sandwich with a side of ADD and a whole lot of panic and anxiety. How will I ever survive this?

slik_kitty responded:
the best thing to do is take care of yourself so you can take care of them. are you in therapy? i ask not just because you are bipolar, but for help for you in dealing with your emotions about the situation around you. this would be hard enough on a person without bp, so you need to take special care with yourself so you can care for your kids. welcome to the board.

smboc replied to slik_kitty's response:
No I do not go to therapy because I feel like talking about my problems only causes me anxiety and more stress. I spend every waking moment trying to meet the needs of my kids expecially the one with BP. It just seems like sometimes they overwhelm me. I work a full time job. deal with my illness his illness, a spoiled 17 yr old boy and 10 yr old girl, a man who barely understands any of it and Im barely hanging on. I was doing so well at one point. Never thought Id get back to this point! I hate hate the person that this illness makes me become and i hate that i passed it along to my son. I work so hard to over compensate for everytime this illness has ever made me lash out at them...it running me ragged. im a good person. Not at all the person i used to be. And for once Im truley scared of being drug back into that world!

slik_kitty replied to smboc's response:
check into dbt, dialectic behavioral therapy. it teaches how to cope and how to be in the moment. i credit it with turning me around. with all you have going on at home, i think learning how to cope is key. you can't be there for your family if you aren't at your best. learning how to cope will enable you to do that.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Medications for BPD
Please get a second opinion if you have chronic problems with your BPD medication. I changed doctors and got a proper diagnosis from ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.