Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Tdoc notice
ddnos posted:
I can't remember if I mentioned this here, so I'm sorry if this is a repeat.

Because my therapist has been getting up toward retirement age, she always told me that she would give me a 6 month notice rather than just springing it on me one day. So during my last session last week, she said that due to her health, she's not sure how long she will be working, and doesn't want to go against her word of the 6 month notice. So, she said that she was giving me her 6 month notice last week, but that it was "tentative." Of course, she will know for sure as the time gets closer, but for now, to just assume that she will indeed retire in September.

Surprisingly enough, I didn't get upset when she told me. For one, I was thinking that it was going to happen soon, and 2) I was reducing how often I see her anyway.

Granted, I know that it will be hard from time to time because she's been a part of my life for many years. In fact, I cried about it the other night, a few days after my session - but I wasn't crying like falling apart crying, you know? I know I will be Ok without her - there was a time that I didn't think I would be. So that's good.

Maybe she won't retire in Sept., but I can't count on that. I have to move forward as if she is, and if she doens't...bonus.

Anyway, just a heads up to mark your calendar for Aug-Sept and know that if I'm a mess at that time, you'll know why. lol

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

slik_kitty responded:
hugs. it's nice of her to let you know. i think that since you knew it was coming soon, that you had already accepted that it would be happening, so you didn't get as upset.

ddnos replied to slik_kitty's response:
Yeah, I know it will still be hard, but I'm hoping that it won't be as hard as I used to think it would be. I'm sure I wil have my days, but overall..........well, we'll see. I really can't even imagine my life without her for therapy! Sigh Today has been a bad day - well, and so was yesterday - not so much because of this, though there is part, but.......I don't know. Too much to say.

Thanks for your support
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

ibex7 replied to ddnos's response:
Sure, Debs,

I hope that in August that you'll remember a couple of us here on the board who think you are pretty neat. Good days or bad, you will always be a sweetheart. (((((hugs)))))

bpcookie responded:
Hey honey, Its nice of your tdoc to let you know 6 months early, most Dr.s of any kind just disappear *poof* with out any notice at all. Well, starting in Aug or Sept. you can come lay on my couch once a week and tell me all your problems and I won't even charge you. Hows that sound? Big hugs honey.
WebMD Health Ambassador, BpCookie

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
110 of 127 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.