Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Opinions Please
bpcookie posted:
CVS Pharmacy wants worker's health information or they will pay a monthly fine. They want to know their weight, body fat, glucose levels and other vitals or pay a monthly fine.
WebMD Health Ambassador, BpCookie

ddnos responded:
WHen you say the want "worker's" health information, are you referring to CVS employees?
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

sandtiger responded:
Isn't that, you know, ILLEGAL?????

~ San
:: Living is more than just being alive - Anberlin ::

melly2210 responded:
That was on the news here today too. Apparently the employees are being required to submit this information to a 3rd party firm who processes it and determines insurance rates. If they choose not to comply they a ) need to pay a $600 fine or b ) opt to select a non-company related health insurance. They're calling it an employee health wellness program.

No, it is not illegal and it totally complies with ADA standards. And as of 2014 when Obamacare takes total affect, this is going to be the norm as companies are going to determine the percentage of the insurance they pay based upon risk factors.

I used to work for a large, well-known insurance company who used a health wellness program. If you were a non-smoker, you got cheaper health insurance AND a $1200 bonus in benefits a year. If an employee belonged to a gym or participated in the in-house fitness center, you got another break in insurance and another bonus. If you joined the company sponsored Weight Watchers program and were active, then you got another bonus. Same with their company sponsored quit smoking program. They promoted wellness all around.

I'm not at all surprised by this demand. It is a company that is supposedly supporting "wellness" and is just getting recognition for programs that have existed for a while now. And with Obamacare looming, this is going to be the norm, not the rare exception.

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

bpcookie replied to ddnos's response:
I sure hope they only want it from employees, cause if they want the info. from me, I'm gonna lie about my body fat. hehehe Yup, the employees.

bpcookie replied to melly2210's response:
When I was in my 20's I worked for a big company that repaired air plane engines, now a days I think it called Boeing. Sometime in 1985 the company brought in some nurses and a Dr. and they set up their equipment in a small room about 12 ft by 8ft, in the shop where I worked. They called in three employees at a time and we were not told what kinds of tests were going to be done. When you walk into the room there were the two nurses but there was a curtain that split the room in two and the Dr. was behind the curtain. The nurses did all kinds of tests on us and then you had to go behind the curtain, one at a time, (possible trig) The Dr. did some tests including a breast exam. I was so embarrassed and in a way I felt violated. I didn't know who this Dr. was, he could have been a veterinarian for all I knew. My best friend told me that when the Dr. did her breast exam, she started crying. I felt so badly for the women and. I also felt badly for the men as well because the Dr. had each of them "cough" and anyone could hear it that was on the other side of the curtain having tests done on them by the nurses.

Just to know that EVERYONE knew what went on behind that curtain had to have been horribly embarrassing for some ppl. I think the company was 100% wrong in doing what they did.

ddnos replied to melly2210's response:
Melly, so just send on over a list of the things that will get one the cheaper insurance rates ect. so that when it comes time to fill out those forms, I will know what to fill out to lower costs. lol Fitness center? Oh of course, I have belonged to one for the past 20 years! Do I eat spinich? Duh! Don't you? Do I take vitamin D and B12? Doesn't everyone? I can't believe these questions! Wow, my insurance rate is almost down to nothing - what else? Ummmm.....lol Evil grin! lol
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.