Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Career concern, living with bi-polar
MicheleLynnpage_74 posted:
! I would like advice please. I am currently attending college; I've been undecided as long as I can get away with in order to obtain financial aid. The problem I face, despite my perfect grades in most courses, my true love is Criminal Justice, mostly in the way of, social work, investigations, or juvenile delinquency. My advisor urges me to go for a degree in Criminal Justice as I consistently receive the highest scores in class, and my love for the field of Criminal Justice. So here is my issue, I was diagnosed with bi-polar in 2006, I have been stable since 2008, if I continue to be, that would equal 8-9 yrs. stable upon graduation, depending on the degree I choose to pursue. I will be submitted to background checks (hospitalizations, and Dr. Records for that time period, as well as a drug test, and of course criminal charges (I have none). I use no illegal drugs other than a prescribed substance, Clonazepam, as needed. I can make sure I don't test positive for that, but the other drug is Lamictal. I would like to not have this in my system as well, due to it still being "stigmatized", and possibly losing a chance at a good job opportunity. I strongly disagree with judging a book by its cover (the past). I am capable now, and was in the past of upholding, and performing above average job performance. All personal issues such as this will, and have always been disclosed in due time, as a relationship forms, the same should hold true w potential employers. I almost feel sometimes because of this, I may be just wasting my time, effort and money working so hard for a chance at my dream career... Any advice would be so helpful, thanks in advance

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

TO DROP MY WEIGHT, I DROPPED THE DIET SOFT DRINKS.
Been on Zonegran for about five years and a type II diabetic for 35 years using metaformin and insulin. It appears the jury is in for me on ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.