Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Career concern, living with bi-polar
MicheleLynnpage_74 posted:
! I would like advice please. I am currently attending college; I've been undecided as long as I can get away with in order to obtain financial aid. The problem I face, despite my perfect grades in most courses, my true love is Criminal Justice, mostly in the way of, social work, investigations, or juvenile delinquency. My advisor urges me to go for a degree in Criminal Justice as I consistently receive the highest scores in class, and my love for the field of Criminal Justice. So here is my issue, I was diagnosed with bi-polar in 2006, I have been stable since 2008, if I continue to be, that would equal 8-9 yrs. stable upon graduation, depending on the degree I choose to pursue. I will be submitted to background checks (hospitalizations, and Dr. Records for that time period, as well as a drug test, and of course criminal charges (I have none). I use no illegal drugs other than a prescribed substance, Clonazepam, as needed. I can make sure I don't test positive for that, but the other drug is Lamictal. I would like to not have this in my system as well, due to it still being "stigmatized", and possibly losing a chance at a good job opportunity. I strongly disagree with judging a book by its cover (the past). I am capable now, and was in the past of upholding, and performing above average job performance. All personal issues such as this will, and have always been disclosed in due time, as a relationship forms, the same should hold true w potential employers. I almost feel sometimes because of this, I may be just wasting my time, effort and money working so hard for a chance at my dream career... Any advice would be so helpful, thanks in advance

Laurenanniegurl responded:
What do you enjoy doing? Healthcare is a great growing field you can make a good living at. It all depends what interests you. I'm majoring is psychology because I can relate and I find it interesting.

MicheleLynnpage_74 replied to Laurenanniegurl's response:
I really enjoy both Criminal Justice, and Psychology... as I can definitely relate to the field of psychology, that is probably what I should major in, but I also can relate to criminology as well, I'd love to be in a field of possibly a juvenile probation officer... but like I asked, I worry about my history of having a mental disorder. I have had no issues for a few yrs. I pray it'll never come back! I will never stop taking my meds, it's just Lamictal, and clonazepam... both which give me no side effects at all! Health care where I live ( retirement community) is realisticly the best path to take, but it's just not what I really dream of doing with my life. For all the time and money invested in my education, I feel I should do something I'm passionate about, and would be good at. My scores in both of the classes are perfect. In fact I received the highest A(due to bonus points of course) in my Criminal Justice class last semester. That really says a lot... don't you think? But what about the drug tests, and background (psychological) testing? I worry I'm wasting my time even trying to pursue this sort of career. Even though I've never been a criminal, I'm not on any illegal drugs... I just happen to have developed a mental disorder-bi-polar, 6 yrs. ago Thank you for replying..

ddnos replied to MicheleLynnpage_74's response:
MicheleLyn, you might want to try going to this site
http://askjan.org/

The site is called, "JAN" Which stands for Job Accommodation Network. Your situation is a little bit different from what they typically do, but because it's at least within the category, they may be able help answer your questions.

They are a FREE service and they can consult with you either via phone or email. Just go to thier website and go from there. If they don't know the answer, though Im almost certain tehy would, then you can ask if they know of anyone would.

Personally, I think that you should go for what you want to do! You have your illness under control right now; you're smart, you have the desire to pursue those fields of training - the fact that you have bipolar should not stop you from pursuing your dreams! If you were out of control and not stable, then of course, you'd have to put those dreams off until you were...but there are MANY professional people who are diagnosed with bipolar or other mental illnesses and they are top in their field! At time, certain accommodations may need to be made, but even at that, there's NO reason why you shouldn't be able to do what you want to do! You have bipolar, not a terminal disease that has you bed ridden, you know?

SO check out that site, yes? EVen if after you check out the site and you don't htink they culd address your questions, call them anyway because chances are, the would. Even if they don't/can't, they could possibly at least lead you in the right direction.

Good luck as you pursue your dreams!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Patience for the Holidays and every day life
Tips 1. Boredom can make it difficult to be patient. If you're waiting in the doctor's office and the only thing you can concentrate on is ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.