Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Okay, this has nothing to do with BP but I'm desperate. Help please guys!!!!
jselleck posted:
Okay Beepers, put on your thinking caps, because I'm in dire need of some help and/or advice. I was blessed with wonderful thick, healthy hair. I used to get compliments all the time from my stylists. But ever since I had to take Depakote (no longer on it) I've gone from thick to thinning, to sort thick, to straw like. Now, I had it cut shorter than I've worn it in a long time back in July, and it WENT CURLY ON ME!!! (I hate curly hair.) So to tame my unruly mop whenever I want to look nice I use mouse on it and blow dry it straight. Which of course damages it, so I don't do it very often. Like two or three times a month if that. But like I mentioned before, it now has this horrible straw like feeling to it. Usually I use Suave's Aloe and Lilly, but I'm so desperate to "fix" my hair I did something I swore I'd never do. I bought some Panteen, because hey, that's supposed to be a good brand and they're always claiming to "solve your hair problems." All I did was waste $7. So help please!!!! Has this happened to any of you??? I don't want to spend a bloody fortune, but I'm getting desperate. What can I say??? I'm a little vain. Okay, a lot. But my hair is my one redeeming feature because I definitely don't have a lot to write home about in the looks department. Well, any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. You guys are awesome!!!

Jess

ddnos responded:
Hi Jess, unfortunately, I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to comment on something you said....you said, "....my hair is my one redeeming feature because I definitely don't have a lot to write home about in the looks department."

I can't believe my brain, missy! I clicked on your picture so I could see bigger size of it, and you are beautiful! Who you talking about when you say don't have a lot to write home about in the looks department? Sheeeeeeeeesh! Debbie falls off her chair in disbelief!! Me thinks you need a new mirror!
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

monkeybee replied to ddnos's response:
My advice would be terrible because I use a flat iron on my hair almost every day. Yikes...but it does work. But, I wanted to comment for the same reason as Ms. Debbie and that is you are beautiful! Stop being hard on yourself !

PS...I don't know anyone who isn't at least a little vain about one thing or another and you don't sound vain in the least!

In high school (I went to a performing arts school), they used to sing "You're so vain" to me because in dance classes, the room was wall to wall mirrors and they said I always looked at myself. We (including me) would crack up every time someone "caught" me and would sing the song.

monkeybee replied to ddnos's response:
I tried this once and it didn't work...so I'm trying to remember what I said to retype.

My advice would be terrible because I straighten my hair with a flat iron everyday. Yikes...but it works. I'm commenting for the same reason as Ms. Debbie and that is you are Beautiful!! Stop being so hard on yourself. .

PS. I don't know anyone who isn't at least a little vain about something and you don't sound vain at all.

In high school, they used to sing "You're so vain" to me. I went to a performing arts school and in dance the classroom was wall to wall mirrors. My friends said I always looked at myself while I was dancing. We (including me) would crack up when someone "caught" me and would burst into the song.

monkeybee replied to monkeybee's response:
Hehehe...and my comment is on here twice so I guess the song applies here too, lol.

jselleck replied to monkeybee's response:
Monkeybee thanks for the laugh. I needed that after the rotten day I've had. Thanks to both you and Debbie for the compliment. In my defense, that picture is 40 lbs lighter and 13 years younger. But thanks anyway. I've been tempted to use a flat iron on my messy do, but I burned myself badly when I was younger trying to crimp my hair. Hey, I was in junior high and that was the style. You may remember that era, poofy big bangs and weird styles. Man, the things we did to fit in. I know the school you're talking about, I just can't remember the name. My younger sister's dance studio was the same way. I used to tease her about the same thing. Especially when mom would overdo her makeup for recitals. I think deep at heart I was jealous she got to wear that much makeup. And at such a young age. But I digress. Thanks for all you guys said. Take care and have a good week-end.

slik_kitty responded:
ion color solutions. it's used for colored hair, but works very well on dry, scaly hair. you put it on and leave it for a little while. you can get it at sally's. if you don't have a store near you, you can get it online. if you don't want to spend extra money, i find that leaving the conditioner in my hair while i finish showering helps the conditioner to get into my hair and it works much better than just putting it in and washing it out.

jselleck replied to slik_kitty's response:
Thanks Slik !!! There are a couple of Sally's in my town. I'll look into it. You're a life saver. (((((((Hugs)))))

Jess

fairies_realms responded:
Hello there!!! I just want you to know that I too was on Depakote ,I was on 1000 mg everyday and like you it made my hair thin as I too had very thick pretty hair. Not so much now. The meds started to give me stomach issues so I quit taking it and then felt lots better. Also I got off of it and lost ten pounds like you wouldn't believe. Been off it for about a year now and my hair is not as bad as it once was, but I still lose some now and then.
I will recommend to you as my Dr said to me, take cent rum the multi - vit. it does indeed stop your hair loss. At least it worked for me. Good luck to you

bpcookie responded:
J honey, How did I miss this post three weeks ago. *shrug*. I must have been having one of my painful days.

My hair started to thin about 5 yrs ago, after throwing fits, crying, having a tantrum, I finally just gave in. I blamed it on fluctuating hormones and medication. Then, this last year, my hair started falling out in handfuls. I had to figure out what was causing it. So I put my thinking cap on and then it hit me. I have ridges that run up and down my fingernails and toenails. Just lately, I have noticed that the moons on my fingernails weren't round, instead they were all kinds of weird shapes. So I Google the hair and nail symptoms and I found a condition called Alopecia Areata. I talked to my Endo. and he agreed that I could possibly have that. There is no cure and no way to test for it. But if you have ridges on your nails and they peal or split easily, your moons aren't round and your losing your hair, then Alopecia Areata is probably the cause.

Right now I'm taking vitamin D and using shampoo's that are gentle on hair but also conditioning. A real good but inexpensive shampoo and conditioner is Mane and Tail. Its got a pic. of a horse on the front because it used to be for horses, still is, but is now used by humans too. They come in huge bottles. You can find it at Walmart, Sally's, I think Fry's carry it now and of course you can get it at feed stores. lol. But if you use it and you start to crave oats, don't blame me. hugs
Please join my community called GRUMPY GROUPIES (scroll down/Related Mental Health Communities/More/click). Fun and serious topics, nothing is taboo. So get on over there. Weirdo's are welcomed.

jselleck replied to bpcookie's response:
Thanks for the advice Cookie. Hubbie's been telling me for months to use Mane and Tail and I'm fighting him tooth and nail. Will try that next if the Ion that Slik told me about doesn't work. So far it is. Sorry to hear you're losing your hair too. What can I say, I'm vain. Hope you're feeling better today. Take care.

bpcookie replied to slik_kitty's response:
Slik, have you been looking in my shower........again??? I just bought Ion from Sally's a few weeks ago. I use it like every other shower because I noticed that it weighed my hair down a bit. Its very good though.
Please join my community called GRUMPY GROUPIES (scroll down/Related Mental Health Communities/More/click). Fun and serious topics, nothing is taboo. So get on over there. Weirdo's are welcomed.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

TO DROP MY WEIGHT, I DROPPED THE DIET SOFT DRINKS.
Been on Zonegran for about five years and a type II diabetic for 35 years using metaformin and insulin. It appears the jury is in for me on ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 10 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.