Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
UPDATE: Pdoc appt
melly2210 posted:
Saw my pdoc. Discussed the so-called diagnosis regarding my visit to the ER and hospital - Conversion Disorder. He's been practicing for over 40 years, is over 70 and has received multiple accolades in psychiatry both local and nationally. When I told him what had happened and the subsequent dx of the Conversion Disorder, he busted out laughing. After a few seconds, he settled back down to business. Asked about the stresses he knew about from the last appt about 2 weeks before everything happened. Told him things that were removed as I'd resolved a lot of things about the boys, had had my arm surgery, etc. It was a point that I'd been less stressed that I had been for a long time. No big traumatic trigger. We then went over my response to dh's heart attack. Nothing during the crisis and nothing after they'd told me he had a 99% arterial blockage. Said the dx was a load of sh!t. Exactly his words. Hopefully...the opthalmologist will see something on the 2nd that hasn't been seen. OR the neuro on the 14th. I fear that the vision issue is permanent. Now I am just plain old angry. I suppose it's just another incidence of "crazy lady syndome" so let's ignore the real problem and blame it on the psychological side of things. If this is indeed permanent, so help me, I'm finding an attorney and I am going after people. Big time.

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

melly2210 responded:
Oh, I forgot to mention in all those years of practice, he's only ever seen 1 case of conversion disorder and she was paralyzed from the neck down and all symptoms went away after 2 days. It's been a month for me now.

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

margaroo replied to melly2210's response:
Melly,

I would take more confidence in you pdoc's opinion than the ER doc. It is hard enough to get a diagnosis for any mental health issue by a trained pdoc. No disrespect towards the ER doc, but you did not need the added stress of a off the cuff diagnosis.

I fit neatly into the "crazy old lady" category. Even my daughter is giving me hell about forgetting about her coming into town and the mess of when we would meet. I try to attribute it to her raging pregnancy hormones.

I am sending hundreds of hugs and hope things settle to a low boil soon.

Maggie
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

ddnos responded:
that's so crazy! So does your pdoc have any idea what it could be? I hope that your doctors can figure out what's going on and also, that your eye will regain its sight completely!

Hang in there
Hugs
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

melly2210 replied to ddnos's response:
Basically the pdoc said it's something physical. If I had had another incident in the ER while they announced DH's major heart attack and subsequent ICU admission OR when they told me after the angio that he had 99% blockage, he would agree. But there was absolutely no traumatic event occurring before the onset of the symptoms which is, apparently, a requirement for the dx.

Hoping the opthalmologist can see something in my eyes that others can't and give me some idea of the damage. Whether it's permanent or not remains to be seen, but it's been a month and my other eye is already compensating as well as my other senses too. Eyes don't dilate the same. So I don't know. I hope it comes back, but I've accepted the fact that it might not and I just have to learn how to live with it. My only concern is that my left eye still is a bit blurry and my glasses aren't making it better, but worse. So obviously my vision has changed in BOTH eyes,

melly2210 replied to margaroo's response:
Of course I replied, didn't copy and got that darn message. UGH.

Anyways, I say it's the "crazy lady dx" because I came in with complete stroke symptoms - distorted vision, weak right side, slurred speech, mixing up words or using the wrong words. Blood pressure sky high when I am usually below normal. All tests, and there was a CT, MRI, ECHO, blood work, something called a bubble test, EKG, and an ultrasound on my carotid arteries. All ok. I did have a panic attack after the blurs of blue moved out and things quieted down in the room, but dh talked me down. Klonapin didn't kill it and I needed the Ativan anyways because of the MRI (clausterphobic). Fought with the techs anyways. Don't remember much after that except I was admitted directly after those tests from radiology.

Hosp dr's handled me, not my normal ones. PCP came did a brief exam. Vision still screwed. Pdoc came, same thing but left eye improving. Told me conversion disorder and explained it briefly. Neuro finally showed up. Point blank told me he overrode decision of ER drs who wanted to give me the shot to minimize damage from a stroke. Did a "how many fingers" test. By now, I'd regained most vision in left eye. Still rather blurry, but improved immensely. And I was promptly dischanged. Same day.

It was likely because of the bp and GAD dx, and the panic attack I had. But the shot was never even mentioned to me or dh, And everything at that point was going thru dh who would have said go for it to spite the bleed risk. It's been a month now and things haven't changed in right eye. Left is still not right. My normal glasses make it worse, not better. But there was no neuro workup done and seizure was on the table as a possibility. No EEG, nada.

monkeybee replied to melly2210's response:
I'm so sorry you are STILL dealing with this!! I'm glad your pdoc had that response and I hope it made you feel better. Hopefully, they will take you more seriously and really try to find a correct diagnosis. I sure hope things look up for you (and your family) soon!

((Hugs))

Sarah

melly2210 responded:
I got a new pdoc appt in about 10 days! The nurse who took my call because the receptionist transferred me was absolutely shocked about the amounts and dosages of medications I am on...and that was just the psych meds. I didn't mention the conversion disorder, but I'll bring it up depending on what the opthalmologist says on the 2nd. I'm getting migraines daily on the side of the head that I am having the vision problems now. So while I am pretty relieved about the appt, I am scared now about the headaches.

And tomorrow I am going to call a few tdocs to see if I can get in ASAP. I really need help handling everything that has happened lately. We'll have to see what happens.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 91 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.