Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Does Abilify or buspur make your period late?
augustasmom23 posted:
I've been on these medications for the past two months. Last month my period came as scheduled. Now I'am currently 3 days late for my period for this month. I dont wanna take a pregnancy test if unneeded. What do you think about this, and what i should do? Thanks so much

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear augustasmom23,

Buspar should have no effect on the menstrual cycle, Abilify, in theory, can increase levels of the hormone prolactin which could, in turn, cause urregular menses, although with Abilify that's pretty uncommon as compared to many other antipsychotic drugs. 3 days late for a single period is hard to judge; if Abilify were a culprit, there would probably be more of a pattern evident (delayed/irregular periods) over the coming months.

Dr. G.

augustasmom23 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Thankyou, and at what point should i take a test?

Joseph F Goldberg, MD replied to augustasmom23's response:
Dear augustamom23,

Typically, women tend to check a home pregnancy test if their period is more than a week late (assuming their cycle is usually regular), or sooner if they have reason to think they may likely be pregnant (eg, unprotected sex during ovulation). For more info on pregnancy tests, see: http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/pregnancy-tests

Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Kee pyour head up
Don't let this illness bring you down. Always keep you head to the sky because someone is watching you and I. Sometimes this illness can ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.