Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
College student with bipolar 1
melmark posted:
My son has just been diagnosed with bipolar 1. He is on meds. He is a Junior in a state college & lives in a frat house. I live 3 hours away. How can I help me & make sure he is alright?

ibex7 responded:
My junior year at college was the most difficult for me and I knew there was something upsetting me emotionally. I almost quit school but decided to continue to graduation. I finished 324 in a class of 336. Lackluster, huh? But then I knew something was very wrong.

Without a dx of bipolar II until I was 35, my life moved from okay to troubled. I've had 29 jobs before retirement,, and the later ones were best because of stability due to medication and a reliable pdoc. The stress of fraternity living may be difficult for your son and distracting from his studies. Good luck and stay close to his situation.
Sometimes you don't mean to say what you mean to say you mean.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
107 of 124 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.