Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Lithium & Methadone interactions
m_selbor posted:
Short Description I am taking 60 mg of Methadone & 600 mg of Lithium. I have noticed a difference in the methadone. I am having w/drawl symp. I must take both

About This Community I am recovering from alcoholism/addiction. I have not had a drink in 23 yrs but used alot of street drugs. Have been clean for 11 mos. now and currently under doctors care w/methadone and also psychiatric care for bipolar disorder. I must take both but the effects of the Methadone are not lasting as they should (24 hrs). I am experiencing leg cramps, sleeplessness as well as cravings. also having watery eyes and sneezing. I have lowered my dose from 140 mg. down to 60 mg in 7 mos. I've been at a stable dose 4 about 2 mos. However, I have always hated taking Lithium but
in order for me to have any sort of a normal life, I must take the lithium as well. I need to know if one is affecting the other or if its in my head. Last but not least is there another pill I can take that won't effect Methadone

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear m_selbor,

There are no known pharmacokinetic or pharmacodynamic (ie, drug-drug) interactions between lithium and methadone.

Dr. G.

An_251428 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Dr G.,
What you are is probably true however I no longer feel the effects of the methadone. I feel physically better this morning, however, I may as well taken a placebo as far as
the initial effects.
M Selbor

Joseph F Goldberg, MD replied to An_251428's response:
Dear M_Selbor, Chances are, the possible breakthrough opiate withdrawal symptoms you are noticing are unrelated to lithium, or factors other than opiate receptor blockade. Worth discussing with the doctor prescribing the methadone. Dr G

m_selbor replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
I am going to see both doctor on Monday.
I appreciate your feedback.
Thank you
M Selbor

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.