Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Bipolar and anxiety
Anon_81448 posted:
I have bipolar 1 mixed. I am on a host of meds including lithium 1500mg,
lamictal 300mg, Zoloft 200mg, zyprexa 20mg and was just taken off klonopin and put on Xanax 4 mg daily. Yet I still have some anxiety and ppanic attacks. I'm not sure what's going on especially being on this much
medication.

Maybe Dr. Goldberg can lend his thoughts.

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Anon,

Generally speaking, antidepressants like Zoloft are considered unwise to take during a mixed episode since, when mania symptoms co-occur with a depression, antidepressants can worsen the mania symptoms without relieving the depression symptoms. It is possible that the continued use of an antidepressant in a mixed state could be driving agitation or anxiety, or rendering the other medicines less effective.

Dr. G.

jselleck replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Anon, anti depressants could be causing your mixed states to begin with. I was diagnoised BP II 8 years ago and for the first three years did pretty good. Then my doc put me on a new anti depressant (the one Lilly makes that now they're cross prescribing for pain, can't think of the name.) and it actually made my mania symptoms worse. I haven't take an anti depressant for two years and I'm doing better than I have been in the 8 years since I was diagnoised. You might want to have your doc consider that it the Zoloft that's making your symptoms so bad. Best of luck.

JSelleck

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

TO DROP MY WEIGHT, I DROPPED THE DIET SOFT DRINKS.
Been on Zonegran for about five years and a type II diabetic for 35 years using metaformin and insulin. It appears the jury is in for me on ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.