Includes Expert Content
tapering off meds safely
GLENSWI posted:
I am currently on 600 mg lithium, 200 mg lomotrigene, 100mg seroquel
and currently on about a 2 month tapering off 1mg clonazapam -
currently down to .5 mg clonazapam- took me about a month of tapering to get to down to .5mg and continuing the taper by reducing about 1/4 of .5mg pill every week. I was severely depressed in early Jan. 2013 and had what I could describe as a nervous breakdown
had a 1 week stay as voluntary walkin suicidal- was diagnosed bipolar type 2 in about 15 minutes and the meds started coming my way- meds helped me immensely in hospital- since then been up/down - lithium prescribed march 6th- had lithium panel done 1 week later - reading was .5- they upped me from 600-900mg- took it for 1 week did not tolerate the increase at all- went back down to 600- have had no lithium panels since my DR. told me I only needed them every 6 months-
which from what I have read is wrong need them at the beginning at least 1 a month- still having some suicidal thoughts at times- believe meds are part of problem- had similiar breakdown once 30 years ago 3-5 days in hospital no meds went on with my life- my dream is to be well again with no meds or less meds- can you advise me on which med to start a responsible taper off next - after I get off the worst benzo- clonazapam- also please advise which of the meds I am on may actually be contributing to suicidal ideation instead of helping- this has been the worst 3 months of my life and I just want to reclaim my health

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Glenswi,

WebMD can't provide individual treatment recommendations, though it would seem wise to ask your doctor what changes, if any, he or she would advise based on your clinical status, rather than making decisions about stopping or changing medicines on your own.

Dr. G.

GLENSWI replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
my dr. is on board with the clonazapam taper - they originally prescribed 2 .5mg per day at least 12 hrs apart ( AS NEEDED) every thing i have read about clonazapam is you either take it or you do not- their is no as needed- and if you are taking 2 a day you can not bounce around- if you start out taking 2 you have to taper off slowly as I am doing - i was bouncing around for 2 months because i listened to instructions as needed before i started an intelligent taper with drs. approval