Skip to content


Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
BPD and fighting for custody
Lexy_89 posted:
I am 24 yrs old and was diagnosed with BPD in 2011. I however did not remain on the medication or continue therapy, as of sept 28, 2012 I had a really bad manic depressant episode were I attempted suicide alone with my 3 yr old son in the house. My son's father now has temporary custody of him am my son doesn't really know his father. Please help me in anyway possible to let the judge see that I am a fit and loving mother to my son.

I am also pregnant and due in oct, I have been seeking help and such since sept 28th and would love for my son to be back with me. He is not treated well by my sons fathers girlfriend who watches him constantly.
melly2210 responded:
Hi Lexy...

Was your son taken away by the courts through an emergency order by your son's father? If so, you need to file for a hearing to show you are stable with a motion to revoke it. If you believe that he is being mistreated at his father's home, then you need to document ALL of your contact with your son, his father and anyone else in his custody. Use email whenever it's possible to communicate with them so you have documentation (the ones you send, receive or responses to yours).

If your son was removed by the state DCF, then you likely need to call them and do whatever they ask of you. Usually there are a list of classes and several disposition hearings. And in your case, a record that you are treatment compliant (if you are not on meds because of the pregnancy, you would likely be required to see a therapist regularly. And if you you are continuing to see your psychiatrist, then make sure you are following whatever plan is in place.

Been there, done this. It is possible!! Lots of luck and keep us posted.


Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson
Lexy_89 replied to melly2210's response:
No he was not taken by the courts my ex bf gave him to his father, because he didn't want to take of him while I was in the hospital. I have taken the parenting class but haven't been able to find a therapist who takes my insurance. But thank you for your help.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.