Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

    *No Dr Outside Contact Please*
    Could I be Bipolar?
    An_251606 posted:
    I have been having trouble for a while now with highs and lows with my emotions, so much so that my husband said that he thought I was bipolar. How do I know and where do I go to find out? I spent 45 minutes crying after an argument with him this morning. I know there is something "wrong" with me, just not sure what.
    ddnos responded:
    HI, a psychiatrist is who would diagnose you, but you may have to first go to your PCP for a referral, depending on your insurance. Also, it's good to see your PCP first to see if there are any physical issues to rule out first. Sometimes what looks like "mental" could be physical like diabetes, thyroid problems, certain vitamin deficincies,etc. , which is why it's good to seee your doctor first to have physical stuff ruled out first. Then if you're ok in that department, ask for a referall for a psychiatrist - they are the kind of doctors who are qualified to diagnose and treat mental illness.

    If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

    Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

    Featuring Experts

    Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

    Helpful Tips

    Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
    There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    37 of 43 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.