Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Am I Depressed? Bipolar?
An_251985 posted:
After having a pretty depressing week I thought I'd share my week on this board and read through some of the communities postings to see if anyone feels the same way I do.

I am 27, male, recently graduated with my MBA and have a good job. I've recently have just been having feelings of being directionless, lack of motivation, insomnia and social withdrawal. So far to the point that this last week of work I called in every-single day because I just didn't feel motivated to go in. I more or less withdraw from the world, only even leaving my room when my roommates had gone to work - but it doesn't feel like I'm motivated by "sadness" it's almost been an adventure.

It seems that I feel like I through bouts of extremes, doing really well and positive for weeks and then moments or extended periods where I just want to be alone and am upset with my life.

I see a therapist every few months who has me on Paxil for what I thought was anxiety and treatment for ADHD which has really improved my work performance. From what I read online it almost sounds like I have symptoms consistent with bipolar disorder. Does any share any type of similar experiences?

margaroo responded:
Hi An_251985,

Welcome to the board.

No one here can really diagnosis your symptoms, but I would consult your therapist about getting in touch with a psychiatrist. Sometimes despite being under a psychiatrist's care bipolar disorder can be difficult to diagnosis.

Sorry I could not directly answer your question. Let us know from time to time how you are doing. We are all here because we understand each other and we can even see some of the funny side of the diagnosis.

Maggie
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Carl_1970 responded:
Hi,

I agree with Maggie. Please see a psyc.

Also, I am Bipolar II and currently am suffering a depressive episode, where I am experiencing a number of the symptoms you mention.

Take care,

Carl

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
108 of 125 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.