Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Dr. G. re a couple therapy methods - May Trigger
ddnos posted:
May Trigger re claustrophobia
Hi Dr. G.

I struggle with severe claustrophobia that is rooted in and motivated by a deep distrust that someone (anyone) will lock me in (via any means) in certain situations. This is not something that I am affected by on a daily basis, but it's something that is very terrifying re specific things that would be too extensive to explain here.

The other night I began doing some research about ANY possible treatment that would rid me of this claustrophobia FOREVER! In my reading, I have come across two methods that are apparently used to actually CURE claustrophobia (if doen correctly) These methods are used for other things, but I'm just concerned about one!

So, I have NO idea if these methods are legit and if they really work, etc, so I would like to know if 1) you have heard of them, 2) are they legit or quackery? and 3) if legit, could they really help me with my claustrophobia? I simply can't continue to live with this FEAR of being trapped by some evil person who tricked me for the rest of my life, especially when so much of those fears have to do with future fears. (im sure that didn't make sense, but I'm afraid to say too many details lest I inadvertantly place my fears onto someone else.)

Oh, I forgot to mention - my claustrophobia stems from when my best friend when I was 6-8 (aprox) locked me in a hope chest and went downstairs - we were playing a game and I did my part, but when my turn, she didn't do what she was supposed to, but left. Thus, claustrophobia is linked with not trusting even the most trustworthy person when it comes to clautrophobic scenerios.

Oh, - the methods are 1) Time Line Therapy and 2) Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLR). Anything with the word "programming" in it makes me a bit nervous lol but who knows!

Thanks for your input!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Debbie,

"The" gold standard therapy for phobias (including claustrophobia) is behavioral: exposure therapy with response prevention, which is basically a systematic desensitization. I've never heard of time line therapy and NLP is generally thought of as pseudoscience by the mainstream scientific community.

Dr. G.

ddnos replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Hi Dr G.

So what behavior exposure therapy? Is it where I would have to slowly be exposed to situations where I'd be claustrophobic - like, slowly and enventually I'd, for example, have to get inside a closet, and do so over and over to desensitize my reaction to it? If that's the cause, oh heck no! lol The thought of actually having to be in those very situations that TERRIFY me does not sound like my idea of something I could possibly do! So please tell me that's not what behavior exposure therapy is!

Thanks for your input
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

ddnos replied to ddnos's response:
bump

Joseph F Goldberg, MD replied to ddnos's response:
Debbie,

For an overview of exposure therapy and how it works, see: http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/exposure-therapy-topic-overview .

Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.