Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Dr. G -- question about dealing with mania
monkeybee posted:
Hi Dr. G,

I have been mildly manic for several weeks. But, this past week, I have stopped sleeping (or slept just a few hours per night), and feel like I'm raging and feel paranoid. I still have control for the most part. I go back to my pdoc on Tues. I have only seen her once so she is new to me and I to her. I am afraid to call her because I am worried she will want me to go to the hospital; I don't know how she will respond. I don't think it's necessary for me to be hospitalized but there are few changes that can be made to my meds since I am pregnant. I am also afraid that I will completely lose control and become psychotic if I do nothing. But, probably not before Tues, right? I am worried and my husband is being passive so I'm not sure who else to ask. What should I do? Is it safe to wait a few days until Tues?

Thank you,
Sarah

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Sarah,

Hard to make treatment recommendations in this forum. But generally speaking, psychiatrists try to avoid the hospital if not entirely necessary (eg, suicidal intentions). Short of that, it seems reasonable to me to call your doctor to describe the problem and ask if any changes to current medicines might be advisable in advance of your upcoming meeting (at which time she can capitalize on the opportunity to assess the effects of a possible change made now).

Dr. G.

monkeybee replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Thank you. The last time I felt this way, I became psychotic. I am afraid I am starting to not think rationally and I am responsible for kiddos. I want to avoid the hospital unless it is truly necessary and I want to make sure I am making safe, rational decisions for me and my family. I am also having panic attacks but can't take anything for them because of the pregnancy (and I don't normally have them). I will go ahead and call tomorrow. I feel truly afraid about where my mind is headed right now. I am so afraid I am going to be insane and not able to recognize it. I hope I am unduly worried! Thanks again for your help and advice.

Sarah

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.