Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
TRIGGER: For any faith; for atheists, there is hope
SharpLil posted:
Hey, y'all. I have manic depression with PTSD, etc. I'm also married to a pastor, and our whole church knows of my condition.

I don't believe in the "if God brings you to it, God will get you through it" school. Even if you don't believe in a "higher power," the only way to cope with bipolar is through medication AND therapy. You can pray til your knees are sore, but claims that Jesus cures this and that are, I feel, quite misleading. It's a temporary fix at best.

Don't let anyone talk you out of your diagnosis with the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" line, either. Tell them you were born WITHOUT bootstraps! And if you're depressed, putting on a "happy face" just for church of what have you doesn't let folks see the reality of your situation.

I am as authentic as possible in church, in life, with family, and toward strangers. It's amazing how many folks I've connected with, simply because they recognized a bipolar coming their way. I think it's like "gaydar"! Folks with mental disorders start chatting with me on the street, and I chat back.

Religion is not a cure (atheists will tell you that, and they are right on). Religion can help you be patient with symptoms. Faith can help you through suicidal episodes, if your faith is deep, but it won't prevent anything.

Anyone care to comment? SharpLil

dibbits0530 responded:
dare i ask about your husband the pastor. no i don't to go there. people who live within bipolar are as varied as snow flakes. healing begins at the foot of the cross and continues across the space of eternity and never stops. if you expect a cure from bipolar, you will find only a choice of two things. do i allow bipolar to rule me or do i get over that and begin a life formidable to what God would have me iive. understanding that a true mesh between medication and behavior modification seeks to balance the BPD patient so they might seek out a full life. this would be the bootstraps you claim you were born without
Take from each day, all that it gives to you, return only to it, nothing less than the very best that you have to offer.

jselleck replied to dibbits0530's response:
Both of you bring up valid points. However I will have to disagree with you on several points. Like Dibbits said, people with Bipolar are as varied as snowflakes. My immediate family was so against mental illness of any kind that when I told them I had bp they actually shunned me for several years. And they claim to be "christians." With much work and heart ache I have finally brought my grandmother and mother around to see that it's not by choice that I act the way I do sometimes, it's the disease. However I still can't get that across to my sister nor the fact that she needs help herself. If someone thinks the whole "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" mentality should work, you're not going to diswade them of squat. Trust me, I've tried. Doesn't work. Especially if said person has bettered themselves on their own with little or no help from others. Healing does begin at the cross, I will agree with you there, but not where a genetic disease is concerned. Face it, that's what bipolar is. Sometimes a family is fortunate enough that it skips a generation, but if it runs in your family and your spouse's family, then face it most likely you're gonna have a bipolar child. No way around it. And dibbits, behavior modification is nothing put a smoke screen. Doesn't work. Never has, never will. At least not in my case. No matter how much anger management bs you try to cram down my throat, and trust me counselors have tried and tried again, it's nothing but a load of hooeay. Sharp I applaud you for being open and honest with your congregation. I tried that, and got burned so bad that I almost had to change churches. My immediate friends, and confidants are the only ones who know I'm bp. I've lost several "christian" friends who claimed to want to help me when my disease first started to manifest and I mourn the lost of their friendship deeply. As a result I am very "gun shy" around new people where once I was as friendly and open as any person, even serving on my college's Fellowship of Christian Athletes leadership board for three years. Now I wouldn't dream of serving in any leadership capability. I miss that confidence and what it stood for. One stupid mistake changed everything. My advice is think long and hard about who you let into your life and what you tell them. Cause Honey once it's out, the genie can't be put back in the bottle.

Jessica

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

new
hello everyone.. new to this..hope to talk to others who knows how it is having bipolar. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.