Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Hospitalization
biPolar555 posted:
Hello everyone. I am considering applying for Social Security Disability benefits and I have a question. I have managed to talk my way out of being hospitalized so far. Does Social Security require a hospitalization in order to approve someone for benefits? Thanks in advance for your help.

Penny

dibbits0530 responded:
a very good question. when i applied, i was required a diagnosis by a psychologist. the psychologist denied me sighting that i did not appear to have bipolar. she based her decision on a checklist or questions that i answered favorably. it was my guilded demeanor that shot her questions full of holes. was i granted disability? yes. this was from the PCP"s recmmendation based on my history and not a flawed questionaire.
Take from each day, all that it gives to you, return only to it, nothing less than the very best that you have to offer.

biPolar555 replied to dibbits0530's response:
Thank you for your reply. My pdoc has already diagnosed me and I have had a couple of episodes where hospitalization was offered as an option but I was so afraid to be hospitalized that I managed to talk them out of it and promised I wouldn't hurt myself. I have felt more and more lately like I need something and don't know if hospitalization is the answer or not. I just wondered if they looked at those kinds of things when you applied for disability. I have been in and out of treatment since 1997, so all my diagnoses are documented. Hopefully that will be enough. Thanks again and have a great evening.

jselleck replied to biPolar555's response:
The gov looks at everything. Your work history, your medical history, and what meds you've been on. I thought I was never gonna remember everything I had been on and when.

biPolar555 replied to jselleck's response:
I know I won't remember lol. My memory is terrible. I do remember the docs I went to though, so I guess I will just have to get my medical records from them. I feel like I have been on everything under the sun lol.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
110 of 127 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.