Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
living untreated
theonlyjow posted:
Ive been living untreated (diagnosed bipolar II) since a suicide attempt in 2009. Im afraid to try and treat again and have become paranoid of pharm. meds. I can go a few mos. while treated without a manic episode but the problem is when I finally DO have one its more over-the-top than normal. (once drove 11hrs to tell an ex gf I hated her and played chicken with oncoming traffic on the drive back all while staying up for 72hrs)... my manic episodes are becoming more frequent this month due to changes in my life and my wife Is talking of moving out. is there any way to treat bipolar without risking the over-the-top episodes??

dibbits0530 responded:
is their such a thing as untreated? you treat the symptom in your thoughts, your words and in your actions. all of these affect treatment. medication is to seek only to grant a space to move successfully through that. when the chemistry in the mind changes a natural defense is put forth and the appearance of pararoia becomes evident. does this stick you between that hard space and a rock? only whenun recognized
Take from each day, all that it gives to you, return only to it, nothing less than the very best that you have to offer.

monkeybee replied to dibbits0530's response:
It's likely the over the top episodes would have happened whether you were medicated or unmedicated. I was untreated for years and, with little exception, had such mild episodes that I didn't believe I had bp. Then I had an episode of the magnitude that you described which caused me to get back on meds. It can happen even when on meds and is usually a sign that the meds you are on aren't working. I would advise you to voice your concerns about meds to a pdoc and explore new meds. Good luck!

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 91 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.