Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Roll Call: possible trigger
jselleck posted:
I'm seeing a lot of new people lately so I thought it would be nice way to welcome everyone with a roll call.

Name:

Hometown:

How long you've been bipolar:

Best advice given to since diagnose.

biPolar555 responded:
Well, we've already spoken but I will start:
My name is Penny
I live in Jonesborough, TN
I was diagnosed as bipolar around 2 years ago, but I've been like this for a lot longer, just never got a correct diagnosis til then.
Best advice given to me so far is to not feel like I'm lazy because I have trouble working. I have an illness that makes it hard for me to work, and I shouldn't feel any different than if I had a physical illness that made it hard for me to work.
I want to thank everyone who has answered questions and talked to me on here. It has helped me a lot to be able to talk with people who truly understand what I'm going through.

jselleck responded:
I go by jselleck, Jessica, or J.

Grew up in Southern Indiana, moved to the Dallas/Fort Worth area about 8 years ago. Thought I was used to heat til I moved to Dallas and the A/C went out in our truck. It gets HOT here!!!

Diagnosed 8 years ago, but showed symptoms for probably 8 years or so before hand.

My best advice for anyone not just newbies, surround yourself with a strong support group of family and friends and they'll get you through anything. And don't be afraid to educate not only yourself but family. (Bipolar Survival Guide best book ever written on BP!!!)

Jessica

grkg1970x responded:
I am brand new here. just joined minutes ago. nice to see someone meet me at the door.
Gene

grkg1970x responded:
I am from Virginia,a very boring place. Every year my family and I went to Florida on vacation for 2 weeks plus this is where she went to nursing school and alot of her family lives in Florida. We decided that we wanted to put our home on the market and move here. So after we sold our home we moved here to Florida 6 months ago. We love it here in Daytona Beach.

Gene
Renee's Attic

http://reneesattic.ecrater.com

bpcookie responded:
Hello all my Beeper Peepers

Name: Cookie but I've been called Cookie Monster and Sparkle also

Hometown: Arizona

Bipolar for how long? Diagnosed about 15 yrs ago

Best Advice: Can't pick just one. Everyone on here has given me priceless advice ever since I became a member, which was many moons ago.
Please join my community called GRUMPY GROUPIES ( http://exchanges.webmd.com/grumpy-groupies ) Fun and serious topics, nothing is taboo. So get on over there. Weirdo's are welcomed.

DizzyJgirl responded:
Hello to all!

Name: Dizzy

Hometown: New York but now live in Vermont

Dx'ed: about 8 years ago but had my first big manic episode (followed by a bad depression episode) about 22 years ago.

Best advice: Don't compare myself to others, go easy on myself, there is help available, don't give up.
Live Life Loud

mattthecat responded:
Name: Matt or (Mattthecat )[br>[br>Hometown: Born in the Detroit MI area did not stay there for long been all over the mid west and east coast some to but landed in the Dallas Fort worth Metroplex TX for the last ten years.[br>[br>How long you've been bipolar: N/A I do not have bipolar disorder but I am married to J and grew up around multiple people who have mental Illness and or bipolar disorder I.E Family. I am a supporter and try to give advice to family of those who have Bipolar.[br>[br>Best advice: hold on tight to any one who truly understands you and stands by your side even though you have bipolar. IF you do not have some one like that do not give in until you find a friend or love one who will.

MY one wish is that all of you find the balance all you so deserve.

Matt

melly2210 responded:
Heyas Beepers!

My name is obviously Melly or Melinda or Mel. Don't think anyone else here has nicknamed me anything....I think.

I was born and raised in a small suburb of Cleveland, OH called Warrensville Heights - the home of Thistledown Racetrack.

How long have I been bipolar? Hmmm....forever? Looking back it's all there, but the actual dx happened in 2009.

The best advice anyone has ever given me since the dx has been....medication cannot "fix" it. It only slows you down, hopefully, to recognize you are heading off in a bad place so you can use your tool box of coping skills or seek help professionally and from those who support you.

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

margaroo replied to melly2210's response:
Hi all!

Name: Margaret, Maggie, Margie and Lefty

Born: Los Angeles, CA, still live in LA, aboutj4 miles from where I grew up.

Diagnosed: Sept 1997, 15 years ago.

Best advice: I have learned a lot about being bipolar by my friends in this board. The love shared by this board gets me though some tough days.

BTW- My log on name, "Margaroo" was a name in a song my mother made up when I was little. It makes me feel loved.

Maggie
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

monkeybee replied to margaroo's response:
Name: Sarah or monkey or bee

Born: Louisville, Ky

Diagnosed: 1998

Best Advice: Too many to pick. Yesterday my doctor told me it was her job to worry about me, not mine. pretty good advice for someone who obsessively worries.

jselleck replied to monkeybee's response:
Wish I could get a certain someone to quit worrying about me!!!! But he's sweet, so what can I do??? Thanks everyone for answering my roll call !!!! Looking forward to hearing from those who haven't checked in yet. Have a great rest of the week my darling beeper friends!!!!

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.