Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Triggers
biPolar555 posted:
Does watching or reading the news cause anyone else's depression or anxiety to trigger? I just read an article about child abuse online and I am so upset I don't know what to do. I try to avoid the news because of this but I read the article anyway and now I feel sad, angry, and anxious. It was horrible and I can't stop thinking about it.

DizzyJgirl responded:
Warning: possible triggers

Yes...it can trigger me. I don't know why but some things bother me more than others (well, they all bother me but some things really trigger me). I go in phases where I am addicted to the news.

I have to force myself to redirect my focus. Find a recipe I want to try, read something light hearted, go for a walk...something to kind of focus on the here and now in my life (basically, what I take for granted and need to be thankful for). If I can, I try to find a way to help and do something positive in relation to the situation. Donate a little money or items maybe. And lastly, sometimes just journaling helps me.

Take care!
Live Life Loud

biPolar555 replied to DizzyJgirl's response:
I do that too. It's like I don't want to watch because I know what it will do to me but at the same time I can't help it. I have tried to distract myself but if I have a free minute I'm looking up something to read. I do much better at home. I don't watch the news and I don't read it online or anything. I can't keep focused at work so I started out doing it to keep my mind occupied while a screen loaded or I waited for a program to finish running.

bpcookie responded:
I stopped watching the news years ago. It seemed like every day there was another animal abuse story. Finally I just couldn't watch it any more.
Please join my community called GRUMPY GROUPIES ( http://exchanges.webmd.com/grumpy-groupies ) Fun and serious topics, nothing is taboo. So get on over there. Weirdo's are welcomed.

biPolar555 replied to bpcookie's response:
Yes, and I HATE it when people post pictures of abused animals or children on Facebook. That really plucks my nerves...

melly2210 responded:
Ok you guys, while these things bother the heck out of me too, I've kind of flipped the situations. I go purposely looking for the opposite. Heart warming stories where triumph happens.

For example....on FB, look up "HELP FIND HANDOVER." Summary is: (SAD PART) Homeless man has a dog. Dog was last thing wife gave him before she passed from cancer. She wanted him to have something to care for after she was gone. He was a construction worked and was laid off with the economy. Then he lost his home. As he was sleeping in his "spot" with Handover watching over him, tied to his ankle, Handover simply disappeared.

(HAPPY PART) The community banded together to find Handover. This homeless man who would normally be ignored, shunned and dismissed suddenly became the focus for help. HELP FIND HANDOVER became a campaign of fliers, a FB page to spread his story and updates. Lead after lead came in and a small group of people in his area were designated as lead followers (and they followed one lead all the way to Houston). An account was set up to provide a reward for anyone who found Handover and thousands of dollars were raised, even from France. Someone finally came forward with Handover, safe and sound, and refused the reward money stating they found him roaming in the area.

James and Handover were placed in a hotel to get them off the streets and have remained there. Local publicity led to his daughter finding him. She'd been looking for him for over a year. Her family has decided to move near the community that has adopted him and are currently searching for a home large enough to accomodate her family, James, and of course Handover. See? Happy Ending.

There are stories of complete adversity which end on a very positive note. So I look deeper, using my coping skills to handle the bad and eventually I find the silver lining.

Right now, though, it isn't abuse stories triggering me, it's the guns and bomb stories all over the country.

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

biPolar555 replied to melly2210's response:
Good point about looking deeper. I hadn't thought of that. I just hate to hear of anyone or any animal suffering. It breaks my heart and gets me so upset.
I totally understand your anxiety about the current world situation. It's enough to scare anyone.

melly2210 replied to biPolar555's response:
Going back to the animal thing. I am ready a non-fiction book right now that just happened to be in large print and short enough that I thought I could read it in the amount of time that was for the check-out at the library. I can only read maybe four or five pages at a time.

Anyway, the book is called "Oogy" and it's about a severely abused dog who finds a loving family. I thought it would be hard to read, and there are parts that bother me, but the overall story is amazing and sweet. Maybe you could pick it up?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_4?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=oogy the dog only a family could love&sprefix=OOGY%2Cstripbooks%2C232

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

biPolar555 replied to melly2210's response:
It sounds like a good book, but I know it will make me cry. I have such a soft heart for animals that I am getting teary-eyed just thinking about it lol. I appreciate the info though. If I ever get to a place where I think I can handle it, I will try to read it.

Penny

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 91 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.