Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Help!
biPolar555 posted:
Good morning everyone. I have a problem that I need to get some outside perspective on. I have pretty much decided to apply for SSDI because I haven't been able to keep a job. I have until August 1st before I am eligible for short and long term disability at my current job. If I hang in until then, I can at least have some income while I am trying to get disability. The problem is this: I just got a call for an interview for what I think would be a very good job financially and benefit-wise. I called my mom and asked her and she said that from my past history she doesn't think it's the jobs that I've had that has been my problem, it's because of my illness and that I should just stay where I am until I can get the disability. My other concern is that my company has been doing layoffs and I'm scared that I will get laid off before August 1st and will lose the income altogether. I love my mom and trust her judgment but would like some outside input. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. P.S. My interview is tomorrow. Thank you.

ddnos responded:
I would have to agree with your mom in that it's not the job that is the problem/issue, but your illness, and so to get your illness under control would make the most sense. If keeping a job in the past has been a problem, why would this other job be any different if the cause of inability to keep a job has not been addressed?

If you've decided that you are for sure going to apply for disability, I would do it now because the longer you put it off, the longer it will be before benefits kick in if approved. You do'nt have to wait until August before you apply.

There is also what's called "state disability" that you can apply for while waiting for government disability approval. I don't know what it's called in your state, but here its the GAU program, where you get money (tho not much) medical, and food stamps. When I was on that temporarily years ago, the money was not even enough to pay my rent, but it so happened at the same time, one of my brothers needed a babysitter 3 nights a week and I earned just enough to pay the rest of my rent and all my bills.

Good luck with making the best decision for you

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

biPolar555 replied to ddnos's response:
Thank you for your response. I live in Tennessee, and there aren't any state programs like that here. I will need the income from my short and long term disability to pay my bills if/until I am approved for disability. If I am turned down for the Social Security disability, my long term disability will pay until I reach the age of eligibility for Social Security retirement.
I am going to go to the interview tomorrow and see what they have to say/offer. I may not even be offered the job but I would still like to try. I agree with you and my mom that it's not the jobs, but the illness. I want to do the interview for me-so I can say that I did at least try. Thanks.

Penny

dibbits0530 responded:
the biggest problem with SSDI is getting there. for most applicants a wait of 6 months is normal for your first response which will usually be denial. SSDI is very specific with the application process and non specific in how to obtain their insurance. The reason for this is keep undeserving parties from seeking disability. Start by engaging a legal counsel who designs their practice solely on the defense of individuals wiith disabilities. Social Security will work more closely. With them on the defense.
Take from each day, all that it gives to you, return only to it, nothing less than the very best that you have to offer.

ddnos replied to dibbits0530's response:
A quote from a respected and established attorney who has represented thousands of people for disability claims, Jonathan Ginsberg, Esq, says in his Disability Answer Guide under the heading,"Here's the #1 Secret to Getting Your Disability Case Approved With or Without an Attorney Representative"

""'I Never Won Until... In the early 1990s, I was a struggling Social Security lawyer and I could not win a case. It didn't seem to matter what was wrong with my clients. They could have heart problems, a bad back, diabetes -- almost anything. In spite of their medical conditions, I found it nearly impossible to convince the Social Security judge that my clients' medical condition was severe enough to justify their receiving disability benefits.'Finally, A Sympathetic Judge Revealed The Secret!. One day, a senior judge asked me to stay after the hearing. He felt sorry for me because I was trying so hard to help my clients, despite my poor results. In less than two minutes, he spoke words that turned my Social Security law practice around. I went from a failing lawyer to a winning lawyer after hearing just three simple sentences. Here's what the Social Security Judge said:
[blockquote>"A Social Security Disability case is NOT about a person's medical problems. Instead, the case is about the effect those medical problems have on the person's ability to work. If you can translate the medical record into severe and specific work limitations, I have no choice but to approve your case."
[/blockquote>From that day forward, I have almost never lost a case. And it's such a simple concept. Yet most claimants and many lawyers don't understand it. "
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

ibex7 replied to ddnos's response:
Staying in touch with everything every day. Missing every day. Loving you each day. - goat !
Sometimes you don't mean to say what you mean to say you mean.

bpcookie responded:
I know this was written 4 days ago but thought I would reply anyways. I started out working at a great place, worked there for about 8 yrs, started getting depressed and ended up quiting. After that I got job after job and the same thing kept happening, only worse. The depression got worse, anxiety got worse and I ended up having panic attacks. What was happening was this, when I was manic I would get a job, then the mania stopped and I would fall into a depression and quit the job. I just kept going around in a big circle until I realized what I was doing to myself. Finally I applied for SSI disability. Its what I HAD to do or else I would have driven myself nuts.

Also, its nice to get advice from someone who is close to you, like your mother, because other ppl may see things that you don't.
Please join my community called GRUMPY GROUPIES ( http://exchanges.webmd.com/grumpy-groupies ) Fun and serious topics, nothing is taboo. So get on over there. Weirdo's are welcomed.

biPolar555 replied to bpcookie's response:
Oh my gosh, that's me exactly. I did that with work and school. That's why it took me 20 years to finish school, lol.
I went to the interview on Friday and it went well, but I just know that even if I were to get the job it would just be more of the same. Thank you so much for sharing that with me. It truly does make me feel loads better to know that it's not just me. I hope you have a wonderful Monday

Penny

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.