Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Bipolar Sister
An_252200 posted:
Hi there.. I just stumbled upon your page... I have a sister, 39, who is bipolar and she is currently in her mania. She took herself off of her meds months ago and we cannot seem to get her to take them habitually and get stabilized... her fiance actually left her and moved out last night so she is by herself. She has pretty much "burned her bridges" with our family. She has told my Mother she was never a mother to her, telling my Dad how horrible her childhood was and how horrible they were as parents...none of which is true.. I know her brain is firing these thoughts at her... I guess I am asking for advice and suggestions on how to deal with this. She does not have a job and has no insurance. My parents cannot afford to place her in a treatment center. This is obviously not the first time this has happened just the latest but my parents are getting older and cannot keep doing this. I live over 2 hours away ... I am concerned for my parent's safety. is there some type of state run facility (we are in California) she can go into... does she have to agree to go or can she be forced to go without being 51/50d? I am at a loss on how to help and part of me wants to just let her lie in the bed she has made for herself but then the other part of me knows she just needs to get stabilized and then she will be the wonderful sister and person I know she is.

ddnos responded:
Hi, just a quick question - you said that your sister is not working and has no insurance...how long has she been unemployed? Has she been able to hold down a job for very long? I ask because I am wondering if maybe she needs to apply for Disability and depending on circumstances, could qualify for medicaid as well and eventually, medicare. She could also qualify for services that may be more difficult to get if she's not on disability. I obviously don't know if she needs to be/live in state run facility or not, that's something a qualified doctor/psychiatrist would know...if she's willing to see someone. But, if she does need that kind of care, even temporarily, funding and availability will be better if she's in the "system" i.e. federal and/or state disability.

YOu might want to go to the following site and look up your local Medicaid office and call them to see what kind of services they provide that would be appropriate for your sister.
http://www.northeastcenter.com/links_medicaid_offices_by_state.htm

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Contrary replied to ddnos's response:
I cannot remember the last time she actually had a job.. It has to be over 7 years ago. When she did have a job she would only last about 6 months and then decide not to show up anymore causing her dismissal. As far as I know she is not on disability but I seem to remember my Dad saying she had "state insurance"

ddnos replied to Contrary's response:
I would highly recommend her applying for Social Security Disability -

There is a free organization who helps people apply for disability if they need help, and offers information on how to speed up the process and how to give yourselef better chance of being approved. The site is called, The Disability Digest. http://thedisabilitydigest.com/

You can register on the site for free and if you need help, they can call you (free of charge) and/or via email.

As far as applying for disability, I find that sometimes it's easier to just make an appointment with your local social security office and have them help you/her with the application. It's easier for those questions where you're not sure what they are asking, etc.

Or, she could apply on-line, which is nice because then you can go at your own pace, but just not as good for if you have questions.

The link for the on-line applcation is: https://secure.ssa.gov/iCLM/dib

If she has state insurance, as your dad says, that likely means that she's on Medicaid - but she also needs to be on SSDI if she's unable to work due to her illness.

Best to you

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
112 of 129 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.