Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

    *No Dr Outside Contact Please*
    Bipolar Sister
    An_252200 posted:
    Hi there.. I just stumbled upon your page... I have a sister, 39, who is bipolar and she is currently in her mania. She took herself off of her meds months ago and we cannot seem to get her to take them habitually and get stabilized... her fiance actually left her and moved out last night so she is by herself. She has pretty much "burned her bridges" with our family. She has told my Mother she was never a mother to her, telling my Dad how horrible her childhood was and how horrible they were as parents...none of which is true.. I know her brain is firing these thoughts at her... I guess I am asking for advice and suggestions on how to deal with this. She does not have a job and has no insurance. My parents cannot afford to place her in a treatment center. This is obviously not the first time this has happened just the latest but my parents are getting older and cannot keep doing this. I live over 2 hours away ... I am concerned for my parent's safety. is there some type of state run facility (we are in California) she can go into... does she have to agree to go or can she be forced to go without being 51/50d? I am at a loss on how to help and part of me wants to just let her lie in the bed she has made for herself but then the other part of me knows she just needs to get stabilized and then she will be the wonderful sister and person I know she is.
    ddnos responded:
    Hi, just a quick question - you said that your sister is not working and has no long has she been unemployed? Has she been able to hold down a job for very long? I ask because I am wondering if maybe she needs to apply for Disability and depending on circumstances, could qualify for medicaid as well and eventually, medicare. She could also qualify for services that may be more difficult to get if she's not on disability. I obviously don't know if she needs to be/live in state run facility or not, that's something a qualified doctor/psychiatrist would know...if she's willing to see someone. But, if she does need that kind of care, even temporarily, funding and availability will be better if she's in the "system" i.e. federal and/or state disability.

    YOu might want to go to the following site and look up your local Medicaid office and call them to see what kind of services they provide that would be appropriate for your sister.

    Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown
    Contrary replied to ddnos's response:
    I cannot remember the last time she actually had a job.. It has to be over 7 years ago. When she did have a job she would only last about 6 months and then decide not to show up anymore causing her dismissal. As far as I know she is not on disability but I seem to remember my Dad saying she had "state insurance"
    ddnos replied to Contrary's response:
    I would highly recommend her applying for Social Security Disability -

    There is a free organization who helps people apply for disability if they need help, and offers information on how to speed up the process and how to give yourselef better chance of being approved. The site is called, The Disability Digest.

    You can register on the site for free and if you need help, they can call you (free of charge) and/or via email.

    As far as applying for disability, I find that sometimes it's easier to just make an appointment with your local social security office and have them help you/her with the application. It's easier for those questions where you're not sure what they are asking, etc.

    Or, she could apply on-line, which is nice because then you can go at your own pace, but just not as good for if you have questions.

    The link for the on-line applcation is:

    If she has state insurance, as your dad says, that likely means that she's on Medicaid - but she also needs to be on SSDI if she's unable to work due to her illness.

    Best to you

    Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

    Featuring Experts

    Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

    Helpful Tips

    Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
    There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    37 of 43 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.