Skip to content


Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Dr. G - Time-scale for recovery from replapse of depressive episode of Bi-bolar II
Carl_1970 posted:
Hi Dr. G,

I have been well for over 3 years, but from recent high levels of stress at work, I've had a depressive relapse.

Please could you advise me on steps to take to aid my recovery. Please note that My medication has been increased from 300mg (on which I was stable) to 400mg of Quetiapine.

Many thanks in advance,

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Carl,
The manufacturer's studies with Seroquel for bipolar depression compared 300 and 600 mg/day and found no greater antidepressant effect with 600 than 300 mg/day. If I had a patient of my own who had been well on Seroquel 300 mg/day but had a depression relapse, in addition to proposing a psychotherapy to address the stresses in the picture, I would probably add a 2nd medicine with known antidepressant properties that was not redundant with Seroquel's mechanism (eg, lamotrigine, Nuvigil, Provigil, possibly lithium, or possibly an antidepressant depending on the individual circumstances of the patient in terms of their candidacy for an antidepressant). See my video under "Resources" re. treatments for bipolar depression; and above all, pose this question to your own doctor for his or her own treatment recommendations.

Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
114 of 131 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.