Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Help I am bi-polar, need non-drug control advice
An_252354 posted:
Hi All,
I a m bi-plar. I need help, but my Gen. Prac. Dr. has prescribed meds that have side effects = negative, ie, procduce insomia, which drug was Supposed to be used to treat RSL which is causing lack of sleep.

I have lost confidence in my GP Dr. as last time he wrote script it worsened my condition & I ended up committing myself to a locked facility 800 miles from home on a busines trip. I lost a lot of $ on that trip.

Now, 4 years later, RSL has reared it's ugly head, I can't sleep more than 2 hours at a time, 5 hrs total per night. He gave script for RSL, aggravated my insomnia. Madeit worst.

Now he is woried I will sue him, whch I won't.

Need info links? or info on NON-drug solution to maintain creativity at the high point of Manic_depression, but slow me down. Have been sleeping 2-4 hrs / night. Hyper during waking hrs.

Any info would be appreciated.

sincerely,
mike in NH

ddnos responded:
Hello Mike,

If I were you, I'd see someone who specializes in the kind of medications you need, being bipolar, a psychiatrist. A general practitioner is generally not qualified in that area. If you have bipolar like you say, then you will also need medications to treat it; you were apparently put on the wrong one(so), but that doesn't mean they are all bad. That one happened to be bad for you.

So, as I stated above, I would make an appointment with a good psychiatrist and tell him/her your concerns, and be patient until an appropriate medication(s) are found for you.

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
109 of 126 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.