Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
New here Bipolar II
latelinda1946 posted:
Would like information and discussion on how to live with this...I am 66 now and apparently have been dealing with this for years...I always knew I had reoccurring depression, seasonal depression and episodes when I could not shut my brain down to sleep easily, but never was diagnosed as Bipolar...never knew there were types of this...not just from very high to very low....Well, now reading on this and self diagnosing, I realize I am and have been for years now, but worse after turned 55. I have had 40 surgeries, lots of health issues, but have four children and worked all my life, sometimes 3 jobs, made lots of poor decisions/choices, but survived. Always tried to help others and involved in issues to help communities, often overloading myself with responsibilities, setting myself up for failures. Like having 10 boxes, full to sort, saying I can multitask and control, then later, feeling overwhelmed, realize I should have only dealt with three max. I look back over my life and realize I was only fooling myself, it is life's illusions I recall, I really did not know and now it is too late to go back and change...I need help to do what I can now to deal with my life. Linda

ddnos responded:
Hello Linda, and welcome to the board!

I would caution you (or anyone) about self-diagnosing about anything whether it be mental or physical because oftentimes there are various disorders and/or illnesses that can appear to be multiple things. It takes someone who knows what he/she is doing to be able to rule out "ten" things to discover that it's the one thing, you know?

I would first see a doctor who is trained in diagnosing mental illnesses, a psychiatrist.

I believe that there are three general areas that one needs to commit to in order to learn to live with bipolar (or any mental illness) and they are 1) medication, 2) therapy, and 3) self care. Bipolar does not have to be a life sentence of misery or inability to function in this world as productive members of society (in whatever way that means for each person). Some people make it to be such a sentence, but that's by choice. Yes, life can be more challenging when one has bipolar, but it's not the end.

The board here has been rather slow for a while now, but still feel free to post any time you like, either starting your own thread or replying to anyone. We always love to "see" new faces here and learn from others!

Btw, I have been diagnosed with bipolar II as well, so we already have something in common.

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

bpcookie responded:
Hello Latelinda, I would just like to say, its nice to meet you and welcome to the board.
Please join my community called GRUMPY GROUPIES ( http://exchanges.webmd.com/grumpy-groupies ) Fun and serious topics, nothing is taboo. So get on over there. Weirdo's are welcomed.

latelinda1946 replied to ddnos's response:
Thanks for welcome and advice. I will make an appointment.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.