Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
The Taking for Granted
melly2210 posted:
I've spent the day trying to organize and race time again. Hubs at one point told me I looked like an executive assistant at the dining room table while I made yet more calls for assistance, faxed paperwork to DCF, discussed more social services, argued with SS, dealt with the ex like it was a business appt, couponed and matched to the sale ads for what we need for the house. I cleaned the kitchen. Relabeled all the seasonings and organized them. Did the same for my meds. Painted the credenza (and I ran out of paint and am going to have to distress it anyways cause I don't like it). All while manning my cell and home phones fielding calls and call backs. So, I am in a manic rush to do things again...or still.

When I was finally FORCED to sit down, I was watching the news. Typical stuff. Death, mayhem, destruction. And a recurring theme. People, including myself, take so many everyday things in our lives for granted. I'm not talking about people, but our own personal abilities and skills. As I go through the process of becoming blind, I am realizing just how many things my sight gave me. Things that I took for granted. Life is changing, and with it, my life and everyone's life around me changes too. Hubs has realized how much I actually do and make it seem seamless. Boys are realizing that clutter is no longer an option. And I am realizing lots of things - like ds1's film production/art/digital design, I may never ever be able to see clearly if at all. I won't see the boys graduate, get married, see grandbaby grow. I will be there, I just won't be able to "see" them. Right now that's hard. Changing is hard.

And then I was watching Flashpoint tonight. Episode about a gay boy gone off the deep end because no one accepted who he was except his bf. Let's say it ended by a thread and he survived. Anyways, as the show was ending, they played a song with it that hit me. As in POW!!!! I thought I would share it with all of you because I think it applies in so very many ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwoUM8ETFfk

It has renewed my faith and courage to face everything. I hope it helps you too. And no matter what, every little detail matters. Don't take it for granted. Tomorrow it may not be there.

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

monkeybee responded:
I needed that tonight. Thank you for sharing and thanks for your courage... you have so much of it!

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
110 of 127 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.