Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
HELP! HELP! Am I being disrespectful to my mom?
Daniele88 posted:
Hi everyone. I am 22 years old and I have a long distant boyfriend who comes to visit me every few months. My mom said I was being disrespectful and being immature by closing the door and sleeping with him in my room. She said I was making everyone uncomfortable. She said I wasn't acting twenty two and I was being inconsiderate.

A lot of people have told me that is bad parenting. I just want to make sure if it was because I have been getting in fights with her for months. It's not really bad parenting because she's not really in charge of me anymore, but I just think that her saying I am a "bad immature twenty wo year old," is BS, not bad parenting. But I just want an opinion or some.

monkeybee responded:
Hi Daniele88 and welcome to the board. You have posted this topic on the Bipolar Disorder board which is the wrong place. But, to answer your question, I would say, in my opinion, yes that is disrespectful. It would have never been allowed in my mom and dad's home even when I was 22. The saying was always "my house, my rules, if you don't like it, find somewhere else to live." Even if it had been allowed, I would have never done it out of respect for my parents. I can tell you that I will expect the same from my own children when they are grown. That is just my input.

Thanks,
Monkeybee

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
107 of 124 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.