Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Jealous of my Asperger's brother
Daniele88 posted:
My brother has Asperger's syndrome and bipolar disorder. Everyone in my family won't stop talking about him ever since he got diagnosed two years ago. My mom won't shut up about smart he is and she says nothing to me, which makes me think I am dumb. I asked her if I was smart, and she told me to be quiet. She said that's ridiculous question to ask. I don't think I am smart. You probably can't tell by here either. I am sick of hearing about him and no one having anything positive to say about me. The only things they say about me are negative. I am such a loser.

monkeybee responded:
Hi Daniele88,

I am sorry you are struggling with your brother's diagnosis. I am sure that could make you feel isolated, especially with so much focus and attention being placed on him. It sounds like you and your mom are having a hard time getting along and it is hard on you. I hope with time and communication, your relationship will improve. My mother and I had a very poor relationship when I was younger but as I've gotten older, she has become my best friend. I hope you can learn to see eye to eye better. Please don't call yourself a loser, you certainly are not a loser! Have you tried to tell your mom how you are feeling? Maybe that could help? I hope things improve soon.

Thanks,
Monkeybee

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

TO DROP MY WEIGHT, I DROPPED THE DIET SOFT DRINKS.
Been on Zonegran for about five years and a type II diabetic for 35 years using metaformin and insulin. It appears the jury is in for me on ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.