Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Chronic Brain Damage plus parents with bipolar
An_252448 posted:
I was hit by a car when I was 15 so I have chronic brain damage plus a blood clot that has broke up traviling down both sides of my brain and my front left lobe is dead. I knew my father has been diagnost with paranoia schitzafrinea and refuses meds but just last week I found out that my mother was diagnost with bipolar when she was a child. Because of taking the drug keppra to try to eleviate the massive 24/7 headaches I have had to deal with my whole life and quit taking it because of bad side effects, I have had major mood swings with using curse words like no tomorrow and having deppression with actually for real having people watch me. My head is realling right now and my question is that with the brain damage as bad as it is how much or could I be more at risk to have bipolar or even the other? One thing that is setting off my mood and depression is that I am regreting coming to a place I should have never came and have been stuck due to failing health and having my ptsd flare up even more due to being around some people that is a major part of it. Ok I think I just babbled or rambled on but I think I got the point out there. Can anyone tell me anything else about what is happening.

dibbits0530 responded:
I am an armchair expert so don't quote me here. the brain is a highly effective area and as such, plays havoc with everything from buttons to buttocks. Not knowing the nature of damage to your brain, it is not fair to speak of it. but to sit on a limb for a minute, inside the brain are miles of highways that connect all of your abilities together. these highways are like nerves which are like fiber optics. the information carried in them is unfathomable. with the car accident, you may have developed soft spots along some roads while other spots may have become brittle and broken off. nerve endings are like a shaving brush but bulbous on the ends. imagine smashing a single nerve shaft. although your accident occurred some time ago, these guys are in a constant state of repair. this is the case with everyone's nerves yet when a blunt trauma occurs, they never have time to rest and can't always fulfill their job which is sending and receiving information. this gives light to the logic for headaches and mood swings. behavior changes as well as physical ability. did i mention thought process? remember i did say everything from buttons to buttocks. the only risk you may have for a chance to have bipolar lies only in your family history. course, 30 some years ago i was diagnosed with bipolar and found out 3 years ago that never had it. so put your worries aside. your head has been through enough and is entitled to all it needs to cope with what it has to cope with. from reading your post, i see a miraculous person who though needs to have a companion of sorts, sees things quite well. is your cursing directive or is it spontaneous? certain medications exist that help along with the brain's ability to be active. they work well if properly combined and dosed but don't get bogged down with them. know that you alone hold all the keys to keeping your health at a peak as best as can be. discouragement brings you down and will cause you to lose track. keep up the good work

david
Take from each day, all that it gives to you, return only to it, nothing less than the very best that you have to offer.

sandtiger responded:
There's a fine line between a yes for that question, and a no. Yes, your bipolar may be a direct result of the TBI (if bipolar is what you have), but more accurately would be to say that the TBI aggravated things to where the bipolar became more pronounced.

I work for a handful of Neurologists in a local hospital, and I *have* seen some cases come through where a person, after a TBI, exhibits characteristics of a mood disorder that their parents or families never had.

It's kind of like what Dibbits said - the nerves can be damaged and pathways cut off or rerouted. At the base of things, what is bipolar? A chemical imbalance. So what if you have TBI, and things get imbalanced? Follow it backward, and you end up with bipolar.

One thing I haven't seen come through (which is not to say it's not possible), is psychosis. Those born to bipolar disorder, some of them have episodes of psychosis, or psychotic features ... I've not heard of a TBI patient presenting with psychosis. That's one of the main reasons why, in my belief, no TBI patient has been accurately diagnosed with schizophrenia.

On the other hand, some would say no, under no circumstances should it be considered bipolar unless it was received genetically.

I've always loathed hearing the terms "became bipolar" - as in hearing someone fifty years old saying they "became bipolar" two years before ... because to me, if you're predisposed to be bipolar, then you are from birth, and you "develop" bipolar, not just "become" it.

You can see how sticky that becomes though, when a TBI patient with no obvious genetic predisposition starts exhibiting signs of severe depression and bipolar...

Hope this helps.

~ San
:: Living is more than just being alive - Anberlin ::

dibbits0530 replied to sandtiger's response:
Nice San....Very Nice...
Take from each day, all that it gives to you, return only to it, nothing less than the very best that you have to offer.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
112 of 129 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.