Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Debbie - I do actually need your help with SS
melly2210 posted:
They absolutely refuse to change my status from bipolar as primary to blind. I've shown them the documentation of being blind. I've even showed them a print out of part of their own site stating I am eligible. What am I doing wrong?? Or am I missing something?

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

ddnos responded:
HI Mel,

Hang on, let me check something.........
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

ddnos replied to ddnos's response:
Mel,

I just sent out an email to a social security benefits expert who I've communicated with before, and he does follow through with replies....so I expect that I will hear from him.

What did the social security worker give you as the reason they couldn't/wouldn't change your status?

The only thing that I can possibly think of is that with SSDI, the condition (legally blindness) has to have lasted or is expected to last at least 12 months - with SSI, there is no such requirement. But I don't know if that would be the reason..let me know what they said, yes?

Hang in there!
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Hi Mel,

I recieved a reply this morning, and here's what he says,

"Debbie
The reason they are refusing to consider her request, is they probably don't want to do the work.

Before moving forward, make sure the person's visual impairment, meets or exceeds SSA' medical criteria under the appropriate category in the Visual Impairments section. SSA does not recognize "legal blindness," the person must have a specific type of visual impairment or be statutorily blind.

In this case, the question is - which impairment currently prevents the person from performing Substantial Gainful Activity?

She can formally request a medical Continuing Disability Review to have the visual impairment evaluated, BUT the risk she encounters is the medical review may find her visual impairment does not qualify, and they determine her mental impairment no longer prohibits her from performing SGA and they terminate her from benefits.

The medical decision is made a state medical reviewer not local SSA staff.

Even if she successful in changing her medical qualification, she will get no additional cash benefit."

Below is the link for SSA criteria for visual impairment:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/2.00-SpecialSensesandSpeech-Adult.htm

I hope this helps!
Debbie

PS - you don't get additional cash benefits if qualified for visual impairment, but you have a higher SGA ($1740) as opposed to non-visual impairment, $1040

melly2210 replied to ddnos's response:
Thanks.... appreciate the work you and your attorney contact have given. Basically, I have to keep pursuing more and more doctor's opinions. <sigh> I guess when everything finally goes black then things will change.

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

ddnos replied to melly2210's response:
You're welcome.....actually, he's not my lawyer contact, but a Social Security Benefits........here, let me paste..

"Benefits Training and Consulting is owned by Michael Walling, M.Ed..He is nationally known for his knowledge of the Social Security benefitprograms and the associated medical benefits. He is highly regarded for his teaching skills in presenting this information, and relating the material to employment for persons with disability.

He has conducted over 2,300 workshops throughout the United States since 1993 on Social Security programs, Medicaid, and Medicare as these programs relate to persons with disability and employment."

Also, I would keep in mind what he said about how basically, it could backfire on you trying to change your primary medical status from bipolar to legally blind, and they end up terminating your benefits altogether, i.e. if you are telling them that the reason you can't work is because of your vision impairment and not your bipolar, and they deny your request to change status, they can then say that, by your "admission", bipolar is not what prevents you from working. Re-read the letter from Michael.

Hang in there
Debbie

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Medications for BPD
Please get a second opinion if you have chronic problems with your BPD medication. I changed doctors and got a proper diagnosis from ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.