Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Recent Diagnosis....Questions
cherry1435 posted:
I have been treated for 22 years for MDD and recently visited my doc because I had so many things flying through my mind, no concentration, etc. Suddenly it was like I saw a lightbulb go off and he said no wonder you have had such a poor outcome with all the meds we have tried, asked a bunch more questions and was convinced I have a "mood disorder" as he called it during that visit. He started me on Lithium 300 2Xday mid May and continued taking 2 mg Xanax like I have for years to sleep. Immediately felt better for 2 weeks but then sank into one of worst depressions in years. Made apt when my family said I had started interrupting, not listening, rambling from one thing to another, etc. yet I am at one of my all time lows and NEVER feel hyper, excited, etc.?? He increased the lithium to 300 X 3 and added Lamictal (lamotrogene) 50 mg daily. Started this last Friday and am still the same...do nothing all day except lay around waiting on my next dose hoping that will be the one that gets me up and moving around. Does this sound like normal way to treat? Do I wait 2 more weeks (next apt) or pay another 50 to go earlier b/c I feel so low? What does the "more normal" that I am looking for feel like and is it any better than what I feel now? Thanks for any help with insight into bipolar and or the meds I am on.

ddnos responded:
Hi there, and welcome to the board!

Out of curiosity, is the diagnosing and prescribing doctor a general practitioner or a psychiatrist? If not a psychiatrist, I would highly recommend finding a good one who can properly diagnose you and who also specializes in psych meds. Not saying that a non-psych doctor doesn't know anything about psych meds, but a psychiatrist specializes in them and is thus, more qualified to both diagnose mental health issues and medicate.

Re your question "does this sound like a normal way to treat?" there really is no "normal" way because we are all different and respond to meds differently. Also, sometimes it can take up to 4-6 weeks before one notices a positive change from a medication(s).

Absolutely, you should be feeling much better than you are once you get on a medication (or combo of meds) that work for you - whether the ones you are currently on are the ones or not, I don't know, but to continue to feel the way you described is not acceptable in the long term.

Re if you should try to get in to see your doc sooner than 2 weeks - for me, it would depend on how long I had been feeling that bad and just how bad do I feel, and do I think I can wait 2 more weeks. So that's something only you can answer. But if you get to feeling suicidal or much more depressed than you are, I would definitly get in to see your doc sooner.

But beyond that, if your treating doctor is not a psychiatrist, I would either ask your current doctor for a recommendation or find one yourself. Therapy is also very helpful to go hand in hand with medication because meds alone won't make anyone "all better"

Hang in there and continue to take care of you!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

cherry1435 replied to ddnos's response:
Debbie,
Thanks for the welcome! Yes he has been my psychiatrist for years off and on depending on how I felt. I have always just been down and depressed ALWAYS since my 20s. Never recognized signs of the upward spikes....was just glad to feel good. Another words I never saw him when I was "up" b/c I didn't need meds to help me. I asked about the meds b/c I have generally responded rather quickly though usually has to be close to the max dosage. Just strange I haven't felt different in a week was all. Luckily I don't work in the summer and my children are older teens so even though I lay on the couch a lot and go nowhere...do nothing, it really has not been an issue. Maybe I will wait and see if this med is just taking longer than I am used to. I have never in my entire life felt suicidal thankfully. Therapy has never helped me unfortunately and I have tried on many different occasions. Thank you so very much for your suggestions. This is scaring me to death....I feel like I should be committed even though I know it will be fine once we find the right combo. Unfortunately the stigma is there, especially in a town of only 18k. Thanks Debbie and I hope to get to know you on here and maybe one day repay the favor

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Need some advice...
I am 32 with a wonderful family and just found out that I am bipolar. 20 days ago they left me due to one of my outburst. I need them back ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.