Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Rapid-Cycling in the Summer?
tlinn posted:
I hate summer. Autumn has always been my favorite season, ever since I was a kid. I always feel the most unstable during the summer. My diagnosis was in 2006 and I was on mood-stabilizers, anti-depressants and antipsychotics. I hated those too. They work, then they don't. Psych monitors my dose and we have to change it. Then, maybe this one will work instead....I felt like a human science experiment. I'm a person, not a proverbial pincushion with which doctors can fatten the wallets of the pharmaceutical companies. But I digress. Does anyone else have normal mood cycles for the rest of the year and then switch to rapid-cycling in the summer months? Are there any non-pharmaceutical ways to handle this? Thank you.

monkeybee responded:
Hi tlinn and welcome to the board!
I don't have quite the same symptoms as you but I definitely have mood changes based on some seasons. I think that can be very normal in mood disorders. I sympathize with feeling like a human science experiment at times but I would not recommend trying to manage your moods in any non-pharmaceutical ways. Your cycling will likely be much worse without meds. I hope you find this summer less stressful than those past!
Thanks,
Sarah

tlinn replied to monkeybee's response:
Hi! Thanks for responding. I'm actually way more stable now that Im not on meds and I make sure Im getting enough B vitamins and different nutrients. I work in the supplement industry and I do my research. Bipolar IS most definitely controllable without pharmaceuticals, despite what your Pdoc says. I monitor my diet, sleep schedule and exercise. I've got it down to an art. Just summers get me every time. I dont understand.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.