Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Totally 360 in my boyfriends attitude
KALM63 posted:
I have been dating a great guy for 19 months. He told me he was bipolar and diligently takes his meds and sees a therpist. Recently has high stress from daughter drama - 24 yr old lives very close by and youngest 21 moved back home after getting in trouble with the law. He has almost completely shut me out.... no emotion in any rare text I may get, rarely see each other maybe once a week for a few hours if I go over there, doesnt seem to realize/care/notice how he is treating me. doesnt ask me about myself,my sons, work, what my schedule is etc. He is like a totally different person. I tried after 5 weeks of this treatment, to bring up the subject last week and he snapped at me. I let it go....havent seen him in 9 days now...a text here and there. I am thinking that he is having a major episode because he is under a lot of stress.

I work with people with special needs, including bi-polar. I have seen and dealt with the manic the depression the anger. But the way my boyfriend is toward me and I didnt do anything at all I have never seen. So wondering if this is part of the illness.

I feel very rejected and dont know how long I am supposed to be patient.... someone please advise me... kalm63

mattthecat responded:
KLMA63 You may want to treat him like any other boy friend Bipolar people like / need to be treated like any one else unless they have made it clear other wise.
Just a thought.

Matt

VLB62 responded:
Bipolar is really hard to deal with. There are 7 different types of bipolar. My daughter was just diagnosed with rapid rapid cycling bipolar. All I can tell you is that he needs to continue his meds and psychiatric treatments and the cycling, depending on which type he has, probably will keep reoccurring . The best thing for you is to maybe take a break from him and give him time to adjust to his family problems. These people have trouble dealing with situations. They have trouble coping with problems . So just give him time and do not pressure him.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

JUST BREATHE!!!!
I did it! I'm where I need to be. I'm in waiting room, listining to a suggested song~ Fast Car ~ My all time fav. Thanks for the reminder. ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.