Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Yoga - OT
ddnos posted:
Good morning! My doctor recommended that I try yoga (with DVD at home if not comfortable at a gym) because I have a hard time with many other modes of exercise due to all my body pain. The most I have been able to do is walk, which is good for you, but doesn't strengthen and tone all the muscles.

Ok, so I ordered a bunch of Yoga DVD's online - I didn't pay much for any of them - I think the most one of them cost was $2.50 - most of them were like .99. I didn't want to pay much for them in case I ended up not using them. lol

Ok, so I get all basic ones, with 1 or 2 that included some intermediate stuff....I got the first one in the mail a couple days ago and this morning decided to try it out. There are 2, 20 min workouts on it that are very basic.

So I thought, "no problem - a 20 min workout that looks SO easy will be good!" NOT! That stuff is seriously hard! lol I used muscles I didn't even know I had, and my body felt so awkward getting into those basic poses! All of the poses where you had your hands on the floor were VERY hard for me because it hurts my wrists and my entire left arm is in pain -i.e. bad shoulder pain where I NEED to see my orthopedic doctor soon, tendonitis in my left elbow area, and my left thumb...also, the inside of my right wrist has something wrong with it.

So I felt discouraged because just when I thought there was some form of exercise that I could do to lose some of this extra weight and build muscle and tone, etc, I don't know if my body will let me do this either! I'm not going to quit yet because I've only done it once and beyond my own aches and pains, It's going to be hard because of doing something new for my body; but I also don't want to make my left arm/shoulder worse, you know? With just that basic, 20 min workout, my left shoulder is killing me. I will talk with my doc when I see her on tuesday, and I'll give her heck for recommending it to me. lol I just never realized that even the most basic of yoga really is MUCH harder than it looks! Don't believe me? Try it! lol Find THE most basic DVD and try it! You'll see what I'm talking about! lol

I hope to be able to continue, but maybe just have to modify some of the poses. Any kind of exercise is hard when you first start even if you don't have body pain, which I think is why it's so hard to be consistent with exercise. It's no fun at first! lol

Anyway, just thought I would share something "generic" here rather than anything having to do with bipolar, meds, therapy, etc. lol

Ok, need to hop in the shower becasue my neighbor wants me to go have coffee with her, and if I go, I have to leave in about 40 min. Then I will go to another store to try to find some jeans/pants!

Have a great day everyone!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

K_Polar responded:
Debbie,

I used to teach yoga. It is good for the body and mind. Do not force anything beyond your comfort level. Flexibility and balance come over time when your body and mind work unitedly.

There are foam blocks and mats to assist with any discomfort you experience. Many individuals use blocks when first beginning yoga.

Kristy

melly2210 responded:
Hey Doodles!!!

I started yoga a long while ago while recovering from a wrist injury. Like Polar said, there are modifications that can be used to help you do the workout without the pain factor being involved. What I ended up doing was resting my forearms down instead of the palms of my hands. As I healed, I would do both in increasing increments until I was able to comfortably hold my weight.

I agree, it is NOT as easy as it looks! LOL. I thought that too, but was oh so wrong. But it did tone things up a bit and help quiet my mind. Almost like meditation because you are concentrating on centering your body for the poses and breathing properly. But like you said, your body is new to it and you're going to feel it until your muscles loosen up and relax into the routines. I know the first session I did I did at the YMCA and OMG, the next day I woke up and my butt hurt soooooo bad. And I hadn't even realized I'd stretched those muscles. LOL.

Keep hanging in there, and I'll check some of my sources to see if I can find illustrations of the modified poses to help your hand, wrist arm and shoulder.

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.