Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Bi-Polar symptoms
tlk1980 posted:
I am 33 yeard old, diagnosed with Anxiety & ADHD. I currently take Effexor, Wellbutrin & Adderall. I feel like a different person lately in a not so good way... Can you tell me what symptoms you experienced before being diagnosed Bi-Polar?

bpcookie responded:
I experienced a lot of depression, mania and terrible anxiety attacks. I didnt know what was wrong with me, I thought that I was going crazy. I started to drink a lot and doing things that I wouldnt normally do. I was so relieved when I was diagnosed and put on medication. It totally changed my life around.

If your medication isnt working the way that they should, then ask your Dr to change them. Hopefully you will soon feel better.
Please join my community called GRUMPY GROUPIES ( http://exchanges.webmd.com/grumpy-groupies ) Fun and serious topics, nothing is taboo. So get on over there. Weirdo's are welcomed.

melly2210 responded:
Like Cookie, I experienced deep, deep depression to the point of [TRIGGER> several ideations of suicide and at least one attempt.

Before that I experienced severe anxiety attacks. Ambulances were called due to panic attack chest pain and seemingly never-ending hyperventilation episodes. I would go to work and find I couldn't even get out of the car. I would have to call in and go home to wait for the panic to subside.

I withdrew from my friends, my family and anything that brought me the remotely bit of happiness or joy. I went through the daily motions of life.

Before all that, I was manic. Very little sleep. Accomplishing a lot. High, high energy. I basically existed each day in a hypomanic state with bounces occasionally to moderate stages. I had delusional behaviors and major relationship problems.

At first they dx me as severe depression with general anxiety disorder. I was placed on meds that didn't touch my mood swings. This lasted almost 2 yrs as they kept writing the depression off as situational. At the time, they never asked about the mania and I unknowingly didn't volunteer it. Finally I found a pdoc who did ask, and voila....I had a dx that made sense.

It took another 2 years to find a relatively effective cocktail of meds to mostly stabilize me and a lot of group therapy and research to find coping mechanisms to help me recognize the onset of an episode. Even now, some 5-6 yrs later, I need medication adjustments occasionally due to tolerance and situational problems that are triggering episodes.

You just have to hang in there and keep demanding that your pdoc and tdoc (if you have one) listen to your concerns. Make sure you tell them everything because if they don't know they can't help you in the way you need and deserve. Good luck!

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 91 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.