Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
terrible trauma
exwife posted:
My ex-husband was diagnosed as bi-polar 8 years ago. He tried 3 medications which he did not like, then stopped taking them. His paranoia increased and he accused my daughter and I of trying to poison him and his dog. He thought someone was putting anthrax in his car. This is a only a fragment of crazy that he believed. Many many other stressful and horrible situations occured because of his BP paranoia and irritability, rage and impulsivity. He read "Brilliant Madness" by Patty Duke, which is an excellent book, so he was fully informed of his illness and the damage it caused him and us. Still, he stopped taking meds.

I needed to escape. I could not help him. He was toxic to us. He was evicted from the home we use to share because he did not pay the rent for a year, and was homeless. His mother and his stepdad took him in to try and help him so he wouldn't be on the street. After 7 months they had had enough and asked him to leave.

When they slept, he shot them both and then himself. They survived. He did not.

Now his daughter has to live with this horrible trauma that her dad ended his life, and almost the lives of his parents.

If he had just found and stayed with a medication that worked he would have spared us all a world of grief. THIS DID NOT NEED TO HAPPEN BUT HE DID NOT LISTEN.

ddnos responded:
How very tragic! I hope that someone who is currently in your ex-husband's initial situation, i.e. refusing to take his medications, will read this post and realize that the same or similar thing could happen to him/her - that it's a serious mistake to stop taking meds when you need them!

Thank you for posting, though I'm sorry it had to be in this context.

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

mattthecat responded:
exwife first let me say I am a supporter and you just described my worst night mare.
My wife does take her medicine and does what most would say is every thing wright in taking care of her illness but still has sever bouts of manic symptoms and has been hospitalized on more than one occasion. It is not always about the medicine what it really comes down to is the hole package. A good support system of family and medical professionals ( councilor / psychiatrist) can make a difference also.
But in some very sever cases no matter what any one including the person suffering bipolar does it ends in tragedy. I have spent my life since I was five trying to figure out why that is. My mother was getting help from family, a case worker, psychiatrist, councilor, for what was most likely bipolar when help was hard to find since they were in the infancy of understanding mental illness back in the late 70s and she still took her life.
So I have two thoughts here those with mental illness should do every thing in there power to stay healthy so that tragic death does not happen to them. The second goes out to those who have lost a loved ones to mental illness some times death happens weather it is a car accident heart attack or even suicide.I plead with those who have lost loved ones for any reason not to dwell on it to a point it destroys you. I have seen a survivor in my family self destruct to the point of death over my mothers death and it was not a pretty sight.
So exwife thank you for your post you let vent on some thing i did not even know i needed to vent on.
Thanks

Matt

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Medications for BPD
Please get a second opinion if you have chronic problems with your BPD medication. I changed doctors and got a proper diagnosis from ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.