Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Bipolar 2 does it worsen with age
finestitcher posted:
I have suffered depression, along with social anxiety, all if my life. I am now 64. None of this was treated until about 10 years ago, and even then, only seriously in the past three years. (I was raised, until age 15, by a violent bipolar schizoeffective OCD father, which hasn't helped me get through life...great genes passed on.

My last hospitalization was two years ago. From there, after six days in the hospital, I went into an outpatient program. The hospital OPP was great and to further tweak meds I have been back once.

I have had countless episodes of depression in my lifetime, a very hard time dealing with a full time job, even though I was very successful. What co-workers, etc didn't see was the paranoia I experienced on a daily basis, especially as my job responsibilities grew, ending with a middle management position that normally required a college education which I did not have.

TODAY...as the past few years have passed my depression has worsened, hence the second visit to the hospital OPP. Currently I am in a fourth week of a horrible depressive episode and will be calling tomorrow about returning to the hospital OPP. I believe my meds need to be tweaked again.

I ske anti-depressant, mood stabalzer and anxiety meds.

My biggest question is, does bipolar depression worsen with age.

p.s. I also have Parkinson's disease, insulin dependent type 2 (1.5) diabetes, and tomorrow will find out if I have Gastroparesis.

finestitcher responded:
And my indicator for how bad my depression is, is how angry am I at the world.....make. I hate life....period. Always have, all if my life.

jselleck replied to finestitcher's response:
Well, I'm a poor person to be giving advice on this subject, but I'm gonna take a shot anyway.

I was diagnoised bp2 eight years ago. I've been on a mixture drugs, pratically everything my docs could through at my disease, and I would have to say, yes bp does get worse with age. I know mine has. My husband thinks that it's because I was on anti depressants which made my mania worse. I don't know. I think it's because my mania has actually gotten worse. I don't know about the others on the board, but for myself I can say mine has gotten worse.

J

finestitcher replied to jselleck's response:
Well, I am a bit flaky. I'm sure my mental illnesses have made me that way after six decades. I have been in a really bad place with depression for a month.

Every day I looked at my seven-day pillbox and wondered why the contents don't look right. Saturday I realized that my lamictal was the missing component. I must have run out and tossed the bottle which i normally don't do until have the refill in hand. Wow, what a difference one stabilizer can make.

I take two stabilizers, one antidepressant, one anxiety. Today I am "normal" again.

Never again will I make that mistake...I was suicidal again, which for me is not surprising since I spend my days that way every day, but my meds keep me in a good place so that those thoughts are very tiny when I take my meds.

I psychologist will happy on Friday to see the normal me, but I am sure I will be nicely scolded.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.