Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Do you work?
LilPixie posted:
Hi I'm new here and this is my first post so pls be gentle with me In the past I have mostly worked for myself finding that I can then accept work when I'm well enough and decline/postpone when I'm not. I had hoped to change this though and move into a position that would provide some continuity in lifestyle and finances. I am just moving out of a severe depression and acknowledging that as statistics go I am typical and each episode is worse, more severe and I am seeming to have to make more adaptations in my life to stay healthy. I'm thinking now that this position (due to start September 2014) is merely a dream and probably a recipe for disaster! I am really curious what others do about work? Do you work part time, for yourself, full time, not at all? It seems I should continue to work for myself creatively ....... Ummmmmmm I know it seems like I'm answering my own question! That's because I'm not so much soliciting advice but I am really curious to hear about your experience and recipe for success so that I can add that into my melting pot. Thank you so much for sharing

Take the Poll

Do you work?
  • Employed full time
  • Employed part time
  • Self employed/own company
  • Work for family member/very accommodating soul ;)
  • Don't work
vote
View Poll Results

jselleck responded:
Welcome to the board. As to your question, I used to work full time. After my diagnoses I found it harder and harder to keep a job. After bouncing from one job to another and only hold two in a 10 year span for any length of time the recession hit and I finally couldn't find another. So I went on disability. I miss working, especially the routine, but this is the reality I have to face. I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do. In my advice, hold on to your freedom as long as you can. My major problem was my boss. I had a jerk of a boss who just didn't understand and a hair trigger temper to boot. Which didn't really go to well in my line of work I guess. (I was in customer service.) Hope you do well in what ever you choose.

JSelleck

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Kee pyour head up
Don't let this illness bring you down. Always keep you head to the sky because someone is watching you and I. Sometimes this illness can ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.