Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
family not understanding
1963lostwoman posted:
how can i get my family (parents and siblings) to understand what being bipolar is? i do not think they want to understand what i go through sometimes. i only my son and a couple of friends that i can talk openly to. my mother thinks she is my psych doctor (lol); i do not need that. when i explained that to her, she said i was ugly, hateful and mean. how can a parent say that to their own child. yes. i am 50 yrs old but still? i am tried of dealing with them.

flasunshine62 responded:
I have friends that tell me that I don't have bipolar because I don't act like so and so and they have bipolar...I don't talk to my family at all about this...I to take lamictal .It seem to be the only thing that takes the edge off.

bpcookie responded:
Hello Lost, Some ppl don't want to learn about what Bipolar realy is. Sadly, some ppl. don' t even care. I think that you should get your support from those ppl. around you, who realy care and who are willing to listen. Stick with those kind and understanding ppl. and your life will be less stressful. I hope that helps.
Please join my community called GRUMPY GROUPIES ( http://exchanges.webmd.com/grumpy-groupies ) Fun and serious topics, nothing is taboo. So get on over there. Weirdo's are welcomed.

bpcookie replied to flasunshine62's response:
Hello Flasunshine, Some ppl. want to put all of us Bipolars into a single mold but in reality, we are unique as snow flakes.

Tell your friends that when they get thier Pdoc lisence, then they can diag. you and even then, you would want a second opinion.
Please join my community called GRUMPY GROUPIES ( http://exchanges.webmd.com/grumpy-groupies ) Fun and serious topics, nothing is taboo. So get on over there. Weirdo's are welcomed.

flasunshine62 replied to bpcookie's response:
So true ...I like your sense of humor cookie.

I'm gonna check out your community ...Grumpy Groupies ..I should fit right in ..Thank you for the reply..Very much appreciated.

ddnos responded:
I'm afraid that you or anyone can get or make another person understand bipolar - it's not always because they don't want to learn, though that sometimes is the case, but with some things, you really can't understand unless you've been there. My mom, for example, hasn't a clue about bipolar or any form of mental illness -it's not for lack of trying or wanting to, but partially, it's her generation - partially, it's the way her brain works, and partially because she's never experienced bipolar first hand. Personally, I don't and can't expect anyone to understand my mental issues unless they themselves know from thier own experience and I don't let my mood be affected by their ability to or not to understand.

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

1963lostwoman responded:
am glad other people have the same issues. my family thinks and tells other we are a close knit family; that is such BS. if you do not act the way they want you to, you are shut out. i try to remember they are the ones that have lost something. i have a wonderful son and his family that i can talk to. thank you

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Patience for the Holidays and every day life
Tips 1. Boredom can make it difficult to be patient. If you're waiting in the doctor's office and the only thing you can concentrate on is ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.