Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Outpatient group recommendation
jmpoet posted:
So, instead of going inpatient (I didn't want to leave my fiance'), I've decided with my doctor's input, to go to an outpatient program so I have something to do with my days. Otherwise they are far too lonely here all alone.

He changed my meds, took me off Abilify and Ambien and put me on Remeron instead. But the pharmacist told me it would take 4-6 weeks before I'd notice any mood changes on the Remeron. Frustrating.

How can I last like this for 4-6 more weeks before noticing a change? I just don't feel like I have enough umph left in me to make it the distance. I know things will get better, but the business of getting "better" sucks.

Anyone been in an outpatient group program than can comment on what to expect/how it worked for you, etc? I'm cautiously optimistic.

mercygive responded:
Hi jmpoet

I was diagnosed 16 years ago because I admitted myself into a 3-week outpatient program. The doctors took me off Zoloft (La La Land) and put me Xanax (did nothing for me), then Paxil (the big plug), then Trazadone (couldn't get the dosage right), then Wellbutrin (gives me the jitters), then recommended inpatient and Lithium (I refused). I didn't think I was that sick, and I didn't want to be admitted and not be able to get out because I had to go back to work. The break from work helped me a little. I also thought that I was letting down my husband by needing help for mental health, not physical health which would have been more acceptable.
So, I continued to attend the day classes and I don't remember what medication I was on when I left. It was the day classes, information handouts, meeting and talking with other people like me, and follow-up group therapy for a year that got me through a very rough period almost without medications. Many people undermine the benefits of therapy. If day classes and therapy is not enough to help you while you are waiting for medications to treat your symptoms, then continue to ask for help and guidance from the counselors and the doctors. They are there to help you.
Hugs,
Mercy
A little yoga goes a long way

slik_kitty responded:
did dbt outpatient therapy and it's what turned everything around for me.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
108 of 125 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.