Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Dr G: tapering Cymbalta
HelpKat posted:
I'm wondering what the usual tapering looks like for Cymbalta. I've been on 90 mg of it for the past 6 month and want to taper off it. Yes I've talked with my pdoc and he assures me we will soon, just wondering how long this process will take. I've heard the horror stories and have tried it once cold turkey, that is why I'm trying to do it the right way. Just wanting to know what to expect. What do you do in your practice?

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Helpkat,

There are no specific or usual durations for tapering off Cymbalta since individual results vary. I personally usually reduce the dose by 30 mg every 5-7 days as limited by any emerging signs of nausea, dizziness or vertigo. There is no technical "withdrawal" from Cymbalta or other serotonergic antidepressants, but physiologically "discontinuation" symptoms such as these can sometimes happen -- annoying but not medically dangerous. In some instances if it proves quite difficult to stop Cymbalta I usually switch patients to fluoxetine (Prozac) for a couple of weeks which, because of its very long half-life, typically eliminates the problem of discontinuation effects.

Dr. G.

HelpKat replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Thanks Dr. G!

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Patience for the Holidays and every day life
Tips 1. Boredom can make it difficult to be patient. If you're waiting in the doctor's office and the only thing you can concentrate on is ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.